Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

FRAME SLIDERS :: ALTERNATIVE TO DRILLING YOUR FRAME !!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRAME SLIDERS :: ALTERNATIVE TO DRILLING YOUR FRAME !!!

HI THERE GUYS,
    I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF THIS INVENTION FOR A WHILE NOW, AND RECENTLY HAD THE CHANCE TO GO WITH IT. NOW THAT I THREW ON A SET OF BRAND NEW PLASTICS FOR MY 01 KAT, I WANTED TO PROTECT IT FROM THE LOW SPEED SPILLS. WASNT TO FOND OF DRILLING MY FRAME, BEC OF THE BAD HYPE (STRESS CRACKS...ETC....), SO I WELDED A 1.5 X 1 INCH PIECE OF IRON /STEEL METAL THAT CAME WITH A WHOLE IN IT , TO THE FRAME. THE PIECE I BELIEVE IS USED TO ATTACH THE HOOK AT THE END OF THE SUVs.....SO ITS PRETTY STRONG.. A WASHER THEN GOES ON BOTH SIDES OF THE HOLE TO REINFORCE THE AREA. THEN VERY SIMPLY I ADD THE SLIDERS TO THAT.

ON A SIDE NOTE... IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON GOING WITH THIS IDEA, YOU SHOULD WELD THE NUT (USED TO ATTACH THE BOLT OF THE FRAME SLIDER) TO THE INSIDE OF THE METAL PIECE "BEFORE" YOU ACTUALLY WELD THE METAL PIECE TO THE FRAME. THIS WILL MAKE THE PROCESS OF TAKING THE SLIDERS ON/OFF MUCH EASIER, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE THE MESH MOD, IN WHCH CASE YOU CANT HOLD THE NUT WHILE YOU TURN THE BOLT TO SCREW ON/OFF.

PLEASE MAKE YOUR +/- COMMENTS AS FREELY AS YOU WISH.
    :P THANX :P

THE FIRST IS A PIC OF THE METAL BRACKET FOR THE SLIDERS...THE SECOND IS A PIC OF THE SECOND PROJECT ...INSTALLING BLUE LED LIGHTS TO THE INSIDE OF THE MESH GRILLS!!!

(((((((RIDE HARD OR GO HOME)))))))

Welding job looks pretty nice... The only question is how thick/strong is the metal tab that you welded on -- in theory you want it to have a bend-strength that's significantly lower than that of the frame, because the main issue with drill-through application is frame twisting on high-speed impacts (and in theory you could have the same thing happen here if the metal is too strong).

And, no, I don't know what the bend strength on the frame is, or else I'd have already fabricated a solution for sliders (thankfully I haven't gone down in the last 20 years -- the first couple years is a totally different story though...).

I've thought about all sorts of solutions, from filling the frame with construction epoxy to stiffen it up more (for a drill through application) to actually reinforcing the frame with another cross-piece between the upper & lower frame... and even back-filling the fairing with epoxy and kevlar to reinforce it... In the end, I guess I just figured replacement fairings are cheap enough if it comes down to it, since they seem to do the job in every serious wreck I've seen...

PS - cover that weld seam and the exposed frame with POR-15, to keep it from rusting

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

THE DISTANCE OF TE "UNWELDED PORTION OF THE TAB" IS LESS THAT 1/2 INCH, SO I BELEIVE IT WOULD BE VERY HARD FOR IT TO BEND SINCE THERES NOT MUCH SURFACE AREA. IN THE WORST SCENERIO, IT MAY SPLIT RIGHT AT THE POINT OF THE HOLE, (WHICH I CAN BE F!@#ED SINCE THE SLIDERS MAY COME INO CONTAT WITH THE ENGINE). BUT THE BRAKET IN ABOUT A 1/4 INCH THICK, AND I THINK IT WILL DO THE JOB FOR THOSE <50MPH SPILLS....HOPE THE IDEA WILL ALWAYS REMAIN A MYSTERY..

Comment

looks good to me, put a pic on with the sliders though?
        Katana 750 2002

Comment

looks great, nice grinding job LOL

I think BearKat has proven that location is a good one for a slider. He posted a thread on his accident and didn't bend the frame. That area is actually considered a subframe even though it is welded to the main frame. It's strength is less than the main frame, it can bend a bit before causing frame torque issues. Also is the most outer area you can put the slider. I am working on this too.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Side note: If anyone does this mod, be careful when welding because it is in fairly close proximity to gas/fumes. Maybe keep a fire extinguisher close at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by mx916
              Side note: If anyone does this mod, be careful when welding because it is in fairly close proximity to gas/fumes. Maybe keep a fire extinguisher close at hand.
              I would take the tank off the bike LOL
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

You guys are wussies.

real men don't worry about getting set on fire.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

THATS A GR8 POINT I 4GOT TO MENTION!!!! SINCE THE CARBS ARE RIGHT THERE, MAKE SURE YOU COVER THE ENTIRE UN-WELDING AREA WITH CARBOARD, AND DISCONECT THE BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPA-FLY-KAT
                    THATS A GR8 POINT I 4GOT TO MENTION!!!! SINCE THE CARBS ARE RIGHT THERE, MAKE SURE YOU COVER THE ENTIRE UN-WELDING AREA WITH CARBOARD, AND DISCONECT THE BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    They make welding blankets and welding shields for such things... something that won't catch fire (unlike cardboard!).

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      They make welding blankets and welding shields for such things... something that won't catch fire (unlike cardboard!).

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Cardboard burns????

Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

WHEN YOU WELD, THERES SPARKS THAT FLY OUT....NOT ENOUGH THEMAL ENERGY TO START A FIRE WITH CARBOARD, BUT PLENTY TO START 1 WITH GAS, WWVN THE FUMES!!!...HOWEVER TO BE SECURE , YOU MAY WANT TO USE A WET RAG......

Comment

WHEN YOU WELD, THERES SPARKS THAT FLY OUT....NOT ENOUGH THEMAL ENERGY TO START A FIRE WITH CARBOARD, BUT PLENTY TO START 1 WITH GAS, WWVN THE FUMES!!!...HOWEVER TO BE SECURE , YOU MAY WANT TO USE A WET RAG......
                          Or use nothing and keep a extingusher handy.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Comment

Neat idea on the sliders. I was thinking about kinda the same thing, but I was going to use a peice of square tubing instead. If I split it in half and welded tabs to both sides with a hole in the middle, you could run a solid high-grade bolt through one side, and install the slider on the other. That way when both the bolt and slider were tightened down, the tubing would snug up around the frame, and you wouldn't have to weld TO the frame at all.

As a subnote, I've set many things on fire with welding spatter at work - myself, cardboard, leaking acetylene valves and more......If you're welding in the area of the carbs, you could probly just grab a cheap can of spatter spray from your local welding supplier. Spray it on and around everything in the area and none of the wee globs will actually fuse to any other metals. Then you can just wipe them off. Plus, I don't imagine that any of the motor's parts are good ol' steel - they're probably either cast or forged - in which case the spatter won't usually stick to 'em anyways.

I've been looking into alternative for sliders as well. It would appear that Factory Pro makes engine covers which actually have a bolt-on slider right on them....but I've yet to see a reply from the mfg'er as to whether or not they're available with this option for the Kats.

The blue lights look good behind a mesh mod...you'll be happy with the results....

FrankenKat 1216
                              GS Fiter 816
                              GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Working...
                              X