X

Chemical Reaction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemical Reaction

Years ago when I first got my bike, I put some graphics on it instead of fixing the damage that I bought it with. Now I've got the plan of fixing the damage and repainting the bike. So to get the sticky stuff off after I pulled off all the graphics I used some of the 3M Adhesive Remover. I didn't think to look at what was in it, but upon further inspection, it's got the same stuff that I use in a petroleum lab. Well the problem is that where the plastic had been damaged and the 3M got on it, the plastic has turned white. I tried use some Goo Gone, which made it not white anymore, but then it would just turn right back to white. I even tried to wash and wax the spots to no avail. Does anyone have any idea of what I could do to solve this issue? I don't what to have to worry about trying to paint it and having some issue with it because of some adhesive remover. Thanks.
    Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

It made the plastic white or the paint on the plastic white?

Comment

try sanding it a bit with 600, this is pre-paint prep anyway right? if it still looks funky, spray a good qaulity primer/sealer over it and see what happens. if the sealer stays put, the topcoats should be ok as well.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

It made the plastic white. I hadn't thought about sanding it for some reason. That should work since I doubt the spray went deep into the plastic. And yes it is paint prep, so it's all heading in the right direction.

Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hegmann1391 View Post
          It made the plastic white. I hadn't thought about sanding it for some reason. That should work since I doubt the spray went deep into the plastic. And yes it is paint prep, so it's all heading in the right direction.

OK, before you sand it, get a blow dryer or heat gun and warm up the plastic a bit. If it turned white because it trapped the cleaner in it, the heat will help pull the solvent out of the plastic. If solvent is in the plastic and you don't get it out, you may have adhesion problems with your coatings in those areas.

Comment

Sorry, I missed a step..... After you warm up the panel, clean the plastic with alcohol before you sand it.

Comment

Working...
            X