X

Gas Tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank

well i havent been riding my bike at all much lately been very busy but went to get out the dixie chopper so i had to move the bike. I sat on the bike and started to back it up when the gas tank wiggled a bit. I moved it back and fourth. The bolts were loose, they werent loose last time i rode. Last time the bike was ridden i let a friend of mine who is very heavy set ride it. Im not quite sure what to think but im hoping the bolts are just loose. My question is where are the bolts to tighten down and where can you access them from. I'm looking for the least time consuming way. Thanks in advance what a wierd thing to happen.

its a 93 katana 600 fyi

Originally posted by tommy2544 View Post
    well i havent been riding my bike at all much lately been very busy but went to get out the dixie chopper so i had to move the bike. I sat on the bike and started to back it up when the gas tank wiggled a bit. I moved it back and fourth. The bolts were loose, they werent loose last time i rode. Last time the bike was ridden i let a friend of mine who is very heavy set ride it. Im not quite sure what to think but im hoping the bolts are just loose. My question is where are the bolts to tighten down and where can you access them from. I'm looking for the least time consuming way. Thanks in advance what a wierd thing to happen.

its a 93 katana 600 fyi
    Pop off the seat, you will see the only 2 mounting bolts. If those are tight, and the tank still wiggles, your missing the rubber piece at the other end of the tank.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks so much i guess i would of noticed if i would taken 3 seconds to take off the seat. Anyway it was bolt that broke in half holding the gas tank. the other bolt doesnt look like its supposed to be there though. Do you know what size the two bolts are supposed to be there? I just want to make it right instead of throwing random **** on it.

Comment

thanks so much i guess i would of noticed if i would taken 3 seconds to take off the seat. Anyway it was bolt that broke in half holding the gas tank. the other bolt doesnt look like its supposed to be there though. Do you know what size the two bolts are supposed to be there? I just want to make it right instead of throwing random **** on it.
        In that case, I would just order the bolts from the dealer, or an online company that offeres OEM parts. Last I checked, bolts, washers, grommets, and all were less than $10.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i got a matching bolt to the broke one, i put it on and tightened them down. thats the good news. The bad news: is its still loose it sure helped but the thing i dont understand how could this of randomly happened the bike wasnt dropped or anything. im not extremely worried about it because its alot of work when its really not that lose now.

Comment

i got a matching bolt to the broke one, i put it on and tightened them down. thats the good news. The bad news: is its still loose it sure helped but the thing i dont understand how could this of randomly happened the bike wasnt dropped or anything. im not extremely worried about it because its alot of work when its really not that lose now.
            If the rubber piece that goes on the bracket at the front side of the tank has dropped off some how, then the tank will not be "tight" even with those bolts tightened down fully. It will bounce when you hit bumps.

I would check to make sure that piece is there. Also check the cross member has both rubber grommets on it as well, as that keeps the tank from being able to twise left/right.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

I am pretty sure those bolts are M6 x 1.0. At least on a 98+ they are.
              -2000 "750"

Comment

Working...
              X