X

I F'd Up My Tank... Any Advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I F'd Up My Tank... Any Advice?

Yes... yet another idiotic rookie story for KatRiders.com to learn from. I was doing some work in the garage Saturday night, slightly intoxicated, and had to move the bike a whole four feet or so.

Being lazy, I tried moving it forward while I was standing on the right side of the bike (which I KNEW was a dumb idea). As it moved forward I heard the grim sound of the kickstand catching and flipping back, then I lost my balance and over she went.

Lucky, actually more like unluckily, a vertical 4x4 beam broke the fall when my gas tank hit it. Now I have a dent about 2"x2" in the left/rear/upper corner of my tank. I talked to a guy I know that does custom bikes and he said he'd need about $175-190 to fix it. My question is... do I have it fixed, find another tank, or just leave it go.

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

With as small as it is I would leave it and just use it as a reminder not to do some work in the garage while slightly intoxicated. .
    From the pics it dosen't look too bad.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I would either leave it, or fix it, but not the $200 dollar route...

Get yourself some bondo, sandpaper, and paint, and just fill in the dent, then prime and repaint the tank. Bondo is cheap, and so is dupli-color paint! And the great thing about Dupli-Color is that it sprays a lot better because of the Fan tip type sprayer they use
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou

Get yourself some bondo, sandpaper, and paint, and just fill in the dent, then prime and repaint the tank. Bondo is cheap, and so is dupli-color paint! And the great thing about Dupli-Color is that it sprays a lot better because of the Fan tip type sprayer they use
        with that much bondo wouldn't you ahve to worry about it cracking over time?

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

a back yard body would be able to pull it out. also i know of a product that you can but that pulls out dents a friend of mine used it on his car a it worked. I think it is called Ding Away $20.00

Comment

Originally posted by andrehendricken
            a back yard body would be able to pull it out. also i know of a product that you can but that pulls out dents a friend of mine used it on his car a it worked. I think it is called Ding Away $20.00
            The steel on the tank is a lot stronger than that of the tank. To pop that out you would have to drill a hole and really pull it out.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by zleviticus

with that much bondo wouldn't you ahve to worry about it cracking over time?
              Not sure, but we shall soon find out! I am going to do mine soon.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

I'm holding off until winter. By then i'll know if I can live with it, find a full tank bra that doesnt look like sheit, or i'll just fix it.

The guy who said he'd do it for me has a gun that welds a little thing on and they you pull it out w/ a slide hammer and some other tools. He said because of its location, right by the tank's bend, he'd prob still have to put on a little mud and smooth it out.

He is a custom bike painter though, does AWESOME work, so if he did it, you'll never know the dent was there. For now... it serves as a reminder that I'm still a rookie to this motorcycle thing.
                I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Comment

ohh have him do a custom paint on it so it looks like a bullet hole..

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

You could hang a picture over it. I've got some nice ones of my bike...let me know and I'll hook you up.

Seriously that sucks though...easy to happen too so don't feel too bad.
                    Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

Originally posted by andrehendricken
                      The steel on the tank is a lot stronger than that of the tank. To pop that out you would have to drill a hole and really pull it out.
                      not so sure about drilling the tank. the best route would be remove the tanks, drain it of all gas, fill it with water to the point of overflowing, because gas fumes will blow you and the tank to high heaven at the first sign of a spark. once that is done, drain the tank of water and remove the petcock under the tank. Then use the blower attachment on a big shopvac and blow any remaining water out through the petcock hole. Then go back to suction on the shopvac and suck any remaining fumes from the tank, although none should be left. It is just an extra precaution. NO...this will not make your tank rust...so don't go there. I have been there already. then weld a bolt head to the tank. Then heat around it and pull out the dent. The heat from all this will evaporate any remaining water...which isn't enough to say so cuz you blew most of it out.
                      Then you just need a bit of bondo to smooth it up after removing the welded bolt. The reason you don't want to drill the tank is you would have to weld it back up anyway cuz if not, the gas will soak into the bondo...then it will indeed cause problems.
                      Anyway, that is how I did a few tanks through the years. Cheap dent pullers work for shit just for the reason Lou stated....the gauge of steel for a tank is just too thick for that.

Another option....and the one I would probably go with, is just bondo it.
                      I have seen....and even applied, bondo that was a good 3/4 inch thick. sometimes it just calls for it without other extreme methods. Only seen it pop off once, and it took the guy taking the ditch in his cage to make it happen.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Skasner I'd leave it for now, if you look closely at my Kat in my profile you will see a small dent in the tank, which was cased when I decided to take my Kat through a farmers hedge. The handle bar end dented the tank when it went down.

It's a good reminder of what happens when you lock up your back break.

Tokalosh

Comment

your kat looks great otherwise, if you arent comfortable that you'd do a good job yourself, I'd shell out the $ and get it fixed right. I'd maybe even consider a killer paint job on the rest of the bike.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

what part of ohio are in you in buddy, im in pa and can do collision work i could help you out prob if you wanted

Comment

Mojoe: Your idea is exactly what this guy said he would do for me. I'm not sure that I trust myself to do it on my own. I have no experience with painting/bondo work.

Originally posted by chinto
                              your kat looks great otherwise, if you arent comfortable that you'd do a good job yourself, I'd shell out the $ and get it fixed right. I'd maybe even consider a killer paint job on the rest of the bike.
                              Chinto: This guy does amazing paint jobs... honestly some of the best work I have ever scene. I was thiinking of having him color match my lower fairing and then do ghosted/candy tribal flames across the entire bike. Bad part is it would cost me way more money than i'm willing to put into my Kat.

Originally posted by duff daddy
                              what part of ohio are in you in buddy, im in pa and can do collision work i could help you out prob if you wanted
                              Duff: I'm in North Canton, OH (44720). I'll keep you in mind for winter-time when I would fix the tank.

Everyone: Should I be concerned about rust where the paint got scratched? If so will clear fingernail polish take care of it for now?

Comment

Working...
                              X