X

Tranny/engine covers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny/engine covers

Alright, next question on my never endind trek to fix my fixer upper.

My steel engine covers are scratched, faded, and generally look like shit.

I want to paint them to match my color scheme (I'm thinking a flat black), but I'm not sure how to make sure the scrapes don't show through. I've looked, and there aren't any cracks or leaks, but it just looks bad.

Any pointers?

Thanks, crack

you can powder coat them, if not what your going to to to get the scratches out is sand it, sand it with say 4-600 grit sand paper to get them out, but if they are deep start with like 180-220, once you get tem out your gonna hit it with 1-3 coats of primer to try and "fill" the scratches. and sand the primer smooth and level b4 you put the rattle can black on there, when you sand the primer use 600 and get all the scratches out.

Comment

get NRC covers they are stronger than stock!!!
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Thanks for the advice... is there anything else?

Comment

if they are really deep, you could maybe find something to fill them with, then either powder coat, or paint them with a high temp paint.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

so, would just bondo work on a high heat part like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot
              so, would just bondo work on a high heat part like that?
              I don't think so, but I am not sure. JB Weld would though, and you could prolly get it pretty smooth with a bondo scraper, then let it sit, sand, prime and paint.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

puddy wont work for the fact that every time that motor heats up and cools your gonna trap moisture behind the puddy, and puddy needs to stick to bare metal, so you cant put a primer sealer down like ppg's K36 and use that as a sealer it wouldnt work you need to either sand em down and try to fill it with a lot of THIN coats of primer or try to fill them by being powder coated

Comment

JB weld or any other liquid metal will work just fine.

If they are not too deep then just sand them out as mentioned.

Cheers

Buc
                  it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

Originally posted by BucKatana
                    JB weld or any other liquid metal will work just fine.

If they are not too deep then just sand them out as mentioned.

Cheers

Buc
                    ya but when you go to put a primer over that jb weld to seal it in from rust i dont know how the paint is going to take that jb weld thats i believe is a patrolium based bonding agent so it wouldnt wanna stick too well, now that i think about it, if it was me grind it down and hit it with some welds, to fill the cracks and sand it smooth

Comment

there is a metallic bondo that will work. Unlike regular bondo, this stuff is made of small bits of metal. Just using regular bondo you would have a problem with the bondo contracting and expanding from heating up and cooling off. If that happens, one of two things will happen depending on how much hardner you used in the bondo. It will either lift from the surface if less hardner was used....or crack if more was used.
                      I had a set of valve covers on my 327 chevy engine years ago that were pucked up. I used metallic bondo to smooth it out and it worked great. Never had a problem with temperature.

USC makes a filler called "All Metal". That might work for you.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                        get NRC covers they are stronger than stock!!!
                        link?

IIRC, Vance & Hines *used* to make billet covers
                        KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

yes and they look about the same but V&H covers are prettier LOL
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                          X