X

changing grips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing grips

So I got some new grips because we all know the stock ones are no good, my hands kill me after riding. So the question is, how do I replace them, I know this must sound dumb, sorry I am a new-B. Am I correct in assuming the old ones need to be cut off with a razor balde? Is there a special glue needed to hold the new ones on, or do they even need to glued?
    Life is to short, Ride hard!

There is a glue (available all over)
    I've never needed it though.
    If the old ones are glued you will need to razor them off.. even if they are not glued you still may need to razor them off..

Comment

yeah, I razored mine off, just because I'm lazy. I didn't glue mine on, and they're holding fine. Friends have used hairspray as a lube to get them on, and it holds the grips on pretty well once dry.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I have never changed my grips on my Kat, but the hairspray trick was a favorite of mine back in my BMX days.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I was at a cycle shop over the weekend asking the same questions. The guy their said they had some glue you could use or spray paint.

The one thing that he mentioned was that the grips are not the same size, and don't glue it on until your sure you have the correct side.

Comment

hair spray or gel is the best

Comment

just use some spray paint after you make sure that the grips fit.

Comment

they should have grip glue at most shops
                Katana 750 2002

Comment

no need to cut them off.. just take a long screwdriver, flathead, and slide it between the bar and the grip and loosen up the glue/adhesive, then just slide it right off.. clean off the bar, and use alittle hair gel or hair spray and slide the newones right on.. its really that easy.

Comment

does anyone make gel grips that fit like the factory ones? I bought some grips and had to hack up the throttle grip to get it to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                      no need to cut them off.. just take a long screwdriver, flathead, and slide it between the bar and the grip and loosen up the glue/adhesive, then just slide it right off.. clean off the bar, and use alittle hair gel or hair spray and slide the newones right on.. its really that easy.
                      True that works... However I've never had the patiance to do that

Most throttle spools are the same..
                      What didn't fit on your grips..
                      Did you not get one larger then the other?

Comment

It took alittle longer but I wanted to save the stock grips in case I didnt like the new ones. but the time it took to do that was nothing compared to the hassle of taking off the stock bar ends for the first time!!! :

Comment

Originally posted by katana bob
                          does anyone make gel grips that fit like the factory ones? I bought some grips and had to hack up the throttle grip to get it to fit.
                          I guess not? are there any that come close?

Comment

use a long screwdriver then hit it with some compresed air and they come right off. It takes about 10 secs.

Comment

What's so bad about the stock grips? They don't bother my hands at all.

What are the favorite grips of choice right now for forum members?
                              I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                              http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Working...
                              X