X

Tack Cloth Residue?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tack Cloth Residue?!

So I'm getting ready to paint my plastics. I get everything nicely wetsanded and do a final wash of the parts. I dry the parts with shop rags and then I get out the tack cloth to make sure everything is nicely dust free. I lightly rub the tack cloth on the plastic and I'm greeted with a sticky residue on the part. It was my understanding that this is exactly what a tack cloth is NOT supposed to do. I try to wash the residue off and I can get most of it off but there's definitely still something on the plastic that wasn't there before. I assume painting over tack cloth goo isn't going to work. Any suggestions on a good goo remover?
    sigpic
    »Ross Wendell
    »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

v.m.&p. naptha. wipe it on, wipe it off (seperate cloth) This it what I used before EVERY paint job i did when I ran my own bodyshop. It has a med evap rate and is slow so desolve. Questions? PM me.
    Never be afraid of DIY. Remember, amateurs built the ark, and professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Cheap tack cloths maybe? They shouldn't leave anything behind....
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

naptha FTW. Took some soaking, but it got it off eventually. Never ever use "WorkForce" brand tack cloth.
        sigpic
        »Ross Wendell

Comment

tack cloth requires a very light touch.
          Never be afraid of DIY. Remember, amateurs built the ark, and professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

At first I thought I was being too rough with it, but even just brushing it on the surface left little sticky spots.
            sigpic
            »Ross Wendell

Comment

I experienced that same result when using a tack cloth. One trick is to NOT push hard when wiping off a piece. You could talk to a local bodyshop for tips and techniques, and use the same chemicals that they use so that what they tell you works out. Different paints have different procedures.

LISTEN TO THE PAINT EXPERT, HE'S YOUR BEST BET

Good luck with the project!!
              Last edited by JHONNY_ICE_420; 05-26-2009, 02:27 PM.
              89 kat 750 turned kat 1157
              soon to be 89 GSX1157R
              01 bandit 1200 motor
              36mm cv carbs
              89 gsxr750 "dot" head (coming soom)...**** ebay
              89 gsxr750 cams (coming soon)...**** ebay
              modded yosh exhaust
              PPG Viper GTS blue
              EBC HH pads F&R
              Pirelli Diablo strada tires
              shovel chopped (I didn't do it, but I gotta fix it)
              ...and pods

Comment

OK. Understanding tack rags. There are different types of tack rags for different purposes (in the automotive refinish arena). The real stick tack rags usually use a wax for a tackifier. (it could be parifin or bees wax)Those type of rags should only be used in the body shop area to remove body filler dust and such. By the sound of it, that is what you are using. These type of rags can create a contamination as well as an adheasion problem if you are trying to put a coating on them. If you are tacking before you paint you will want tack rags that do not have much tackifier that are ment for basecoat clear coat applications. Remember prior to using a tack rag, unfold then streach the tack rag. This will bring the tackifier to the surface. After that, bunch the tack rag up in your hand. This will increase the surface area of the tack rag. The other folks are correct. Do not push real hard. Move your hand from one end of the panel to the other. That way if the rag misses something, you will push it off of the surface vs. just pushing it around the surface.

The last ting is the wipe rags that you are using could cause you problems as well. SHop rags are usually contaminated with something. Wether it is oil, metal shavings, soap or what ever. These can end up on the substrate that you are putting a coating on. You should use a wipe that is ment for cleanning with a solvent. Try not to use paper towels either. Most paper towels use either glue or binders to hold the fibers together. When you put solvent on paper towels, the solvent will remove the glues and binders then the towel comes apart on the substrate and the result could be contamination or what would appear to be dirt in your paint. I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please IM me. Take care.
                Last edited by mrwhipper; 05-27-2009, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Crystal tack cloths are best. Cheepies will streak. They dont need much presure for them to work. I buy crystals and only crystals . In a pinch i will use a cheepie but I pay close attention to what its doing. If your substrate is sanded in to fine of grit it will streak also. I pack on 4-5 coats of clear during 1 clearing session then i flatten my graphics out with 320 hook-it on a DA sander with an interface pad. tack that with a good cloth and your in buisness.
                  sigpic
                  Visit my Temporary web page at www.myspace.com/zacksbodyshop
                  "What's Your Dream?"

Comment

Working...
                  X