X

fixing or replacing broken plastics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing or replacing broken plastics

i my font plastics are missing chunks of plastic from a crash a few months ago. i have heard a few ideas on how to fix them but noting that really helped. is there a good way to fix plastics that are missing chunks out of it? or is it a better idea to buy some new or used ones? and if so where should i look for new or used plastics?

thanks much

post or pm me some pics of what your talking about and i'll do my best to help i have rebuilt the fairings on three bikes that were basicly total wrecks including my kat in the pic.

Comment

Dont know if it will help in your situation but what I did:

You know the plastic carrying case, Craftsman tool set come in? I cut squares out of the case and used two-part expoxy to glue them to the back of the fairing. With a heat gun or torch you can even bend them to shape to fit the curves of the panel. Then I filled the holes with body filler. I like to use Kitty-Hair for large holes and Duraglass for smaller holes. Bother have fiberglass strands in them that make it stronger than regular bondo. The two-part epoxy I bought from Autozone for $5.

5k Miles so far and it hasnt fallen apart yet.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I have used old ABS adn acetone to make the ABS soft, Then bonded it together . I use fiberglass material with a super epoxy as the resin. It actually melts into the ABS and makes the fiberglass actually stick. Fiberglass with fiberglass resin on ABS always cracks. I work on Composite material all teh time at my job, So I have plenty to work with.
        Watching Obama run this country is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Comment

The easiest way to build missing plastics pieces is to form the piece using alluminum mesh (gutter guard)
          drill a few holes around the area that is broken out, screw a piece is screen mesh to it and then form the mesh to the shape you need. cover the mesh withplastic wrap or tape then using plastic epoxy for small pieces or fiberglass for larger ones cover the mesh. once you have the mold/shape you can attach the two pieces properly.
          I prefer plastic weld epoxy over any other.

98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

this is the main damage to the plastics.
            Attached Files

Comment

This: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Acrylic-P...cgid=Nail03-01
              plus this: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Extra-Str...cgid=Nail03-02

will give you a very strong glue that bonds better than any epoxy. It's not very good for filling in large areas, but if you have the pieces, this works best I've found.

Comment

Originally posted by markopolo311 View Post
                This: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Acrylic-P...cgid=Nail03-01
                plus this: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Extra-Str...cgid=Nail03-02

will give you a very strong glue that bonds better than any epoxy. It's not very good for filling in large areas, but if you have the pieces, this works best I've found.
                nope dont have the pieces there prolly still on the highway

Comment

Get on ebay. You can pick up rashed up / cracked fairing for cheap. Cut the pieces you need and plastic weld them together...

I've got a thread on it around here somewhere. Definitely not rocket science. Hardest part is sanding......and sanding......

And did I mention sanding?

Comment

I go to a place that sells Automotive parts and accessories. Usually places like that sell bondo and other body work items. If you can show them the bike that they can reccomed a appoxy that you can use, sand and paint over.

Comment

This system will work very well.

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                        Dont know if it will help in your situation but what I did:

You know the plastic carrying case, Craftsman tool set come in? I cut squares out of the case and used two-part expoxy to glue them to the back of the fairing. With a heat gun or torch you can even bend them to shape to fit the curves of the panel. Then I filled the holes with body filler. I like to use Kitty-Hair for large holes and Duraglass for smaller holes. Bother have fiberglass strands in them that make it stronger than regular bondo. The two-part epoxy I bought from Autozone for $5.

5k Miles so far and it hasnt fallen apart yet.

If you need some kitty hair I have two cats that would be eager to help out.
                        -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                          If you need some kitty hair I have two cats that would be eager to help out.
                          im good off kitty hair my fiance has a growing kitty and my mom has 2 one whitch constantly sheds handfulls of hair.

but thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X