X

I want to change my tail!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to change my tail!!!!!

i have a 600 pre kat jus wondering i have been doing alot of research just wondering what will be the easiest overlap tail mod basicly i want to change my tail without having to cut frame or is it cheaper to buy new tail with frame and get it welded

Nothing is "easy"...it will take some fabrication of either the plastic/fiber glass or cutting the entire tail off, because on the 600 it's welded to the frame, not like the Hayabusa or I think new GSXR's(not sure on the GSXR's)...
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

There are infinate possibilities out there on doing a tail mod to a 600...

What tail do you WANT to put on it, and/or what are you going for that you don't like on the 600?

That might help us help you with an answer.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'm pretty sure I saw someone on here yesterday who took an r1 led taillight and just drilled two holes and then bolted it right up. look around...
        IM me on AIM-C0MPTONASSCRAIG

Comment

i was looking for a gsxr tail....basicly a newer style tail how much would is a ruff estimate if i jus bought a new tail and welded it on i can't weld and dont anyone who can....thats why i was thinking about a over lap or something

Comment

You would actually have to buy the tail to figure it out...most of us who have done the tail swap have bought the plastics and tried to fit it on the bike at first...then when we saw what a pain it would be we bought the subframes and cut the tail and weld up the new one or put bosses and bolted up the new one...I can speak for myself that it was a pain and I was lucky because my buddy know's how to weld so he did it for me. Now since you are at a disadvantage you need to figure if it is actually worth the hassle or make friends in your area that can weld and go from there..

I'm not trying to discourage you just to put in perspective of the type of surgery you are undertaking. Now if you can get the plastics to fit on the current subframe with minimal cutting...please by all means post it up because you would be one of the first people that I know of that did it. Good Luck!!
            Last edited by Jax; 05-20-2009, 10:43 AM.
            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084

Comment

thanks for the reply i guess ill be keepin it pretty stock till i buy a new bike then

Comment

thinking can i just cut off the bottom part of the tail subframe i would like the bike much better if that piece wasn't showing....is that possible it the top part enuff to support me even if i have to get another bar at the top to help support it

Comment

Originally posted by truthurtz42 View Post
                  thinking can i just cut off the bottom part of the tail subframe i would like the bike much better if that piece wasn't showing....is that possible it the top part enuff to support me even if i have to get another bar at the top to help support it
                  If you cut the bottom part of that subframe off it will be more then the truth that hurts. I already know what part your talking about and NO dont cut it. you will be K.I.A on the K.A.T and never be B.A.C.K
                  Currently Riding:
                  1995 Katana 600
                  V&H Exhaust
                  Jet Kit

SOLD
                  2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                  1987 XV700 Bobber
                  REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

so theres no way i can cut that and weld somethin a little higher to support the tail liekthe newer bikes

Comment

Properly done... yes, you can.

If you bring the front side up to the frame curvature (about 4" higher) you can change the line on the tail sub frame rail. If your not going to change the fairings on the tail, keep in mind that you may need to do a bend to clear the plastics, or trim them as this will be where the plastics normally have the indentions right under your seat.

For the kats tail plastics, if you take the tail plastics off you will see there is a bolt about 3" down on the support rail for the subframe. For the 750 this is used for the lower mounting point of the tail light rear frame, for the 600s, the hand rails with cargo net hooks bolts to it. If you cut just below that, and run to the point I mentioned above, your rails will be entirely above the stock plastics giving a more open look above the tire.

Raising the tail slightly will exagerate this even further, but this may change the handling of the bike from stock.

Further adjustments or choices in where to cut and weld would be up to what plastics your wanting to fit later.

Understand that this is a major support for pretty much most of the weight any rider puts on the bike. It's absolutly imperative that if you start making changes there, that it is done right. If not, then you have the potential of pretty catastrophic failure while on the road. Pretty much nothing is able to be removed from the support and frame that isn't nessasary to fully replace if you want to keep a safe ride.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks for the feedback i wish i knew someone who lived near me and could help me ou with this tail

Comment

this is wat i want it to look like http

Comment

That is a solo cowl....you can do a search in the for sale section...I think Mr. Ohio was selling them but I could be wrong...I think the rear fairing is a bit different also...

Comment

This is what i am talking about.....
                              the bottom of the tail frame near the tire

Comment

Working...
                              X