X

Swapping clear for stock signal covers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping clear for stock signal covers

Got my goodies in the mail and will start removing the tail light, rear and front signal covers tonight. Any suggestions or warnings before I start would be appreciated.
    Darrel
    '04 Honda F4i

Its pretty easy. 2 phillips head screw hold the fronts in, you may have to take the side fairings off though to change them out. The back may be a bit trickier. I have a 99, and I have the "Bumble Bee" tail, not sure what tail you have. But its pretty much just a matter of taking bolts out, and putting bolts back. Good luck and Have fun!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Shouldn't need to take the entire fairing off for the front sigs... just take off the inner portions (the black pieces closest to your header) and that gives you lots of room to unscrew the sigs and replace them.

Same with the rear... you've got an 04 so you should be able to get a long screwdriver in there with the seat off without having to take the tail plastics off.

Let's see some pics when ur done!!! 8)

Comment

Soak them in very warm water to loosen the lenses before you start prying them apart, and go slow.
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I just got word that Zero Gravity has sent my new wind screen so while I have you here, any input on dealing with this swap?
          Darrel
          '04 Honda F4i

Comment

If memory serves me correctly, should be as easy as removing those screws around the windscreen, slide her out, slide the new in
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

when you replace the windshield you will have to reinstall the rubber hole mounts. The easiest way is to wet them and twist them in from the top.
              Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

I think the mirrors have to come off to as well, don't they? I could be worng though... I don't remember
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

if you picked up the LED clear tail light be careful of the wires. I pulled mine out by accident like three times
                  rock
                  always working on mods

Comment

Windshield is easy...

1. remove both mirrors
                    2. remove 4 outer screws (BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP THE RUBBER GROMMETS DOWN THE INSIDE OF YOUR FAIRING!! it's a PITA to get them out)
                    3. remove 2 inner screws (above your dash in the corners of the screen)
                    4. remove the large black plastic fastener at the bottom of the windscreen by PUSHING the centre of it. (once you see it you'll know what I mean)

Just do the reverse to reinstall. 8)

Comment

If you screw up the plastic fastner at the bottom center of the windshield (such as not being able to figure out how to open it), replacements are under $2 at the dealer (I keep a few in my parts bins), but many (including myself) use a plastic zip tie instead on that particular connection, since it can be pulled tighter (IMHO) than an used plastic fastner will and it's a cheap, effective solution. It's also a connection that's not visible from the outside of the bike.

Only other advice: Do it during daylight over a clean work surface, and be careful about not loosing the rubber mounts on the windshield.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just replaced my windscreen and did not have to remove the mirrors. To put he rubber gromets back in, I sprayed it with rust check (it was handy) so they slid in easier. Good luck.
                        Biker chicks know how to ride.....

Comment

Thanks you all, finally got it done. Tried to change the front turn signals without removing the fairing, but in the end it was easier for me to take them off. Hey Junior, your right about dropping that rubber grommet down inside. I kept that in mind as I was working it and just like golf the thought becomes reality. (Note to self, one dope slap earned). Lucky for me I was able to shake the side of the fairing enough the little bugger tumbled out. Got just enough time for a quick ride, thanks again.
                          Darrel
                          '04 Honda F4i

Comment

Working...
                          X