X

headlight swap questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight swap questions

what would i have to do to get the single headlight on my 92 kat swapped out for the early 90's gixxer style dual headlight?do i have to swap farings? or is it just a matter of fabricating everything to fit my with the fairings i have now? i have seen small talk about this on the site but have yet to find a thread on the swap.any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
    Last edited by katana600Frider; 05-10-2009, 12:06 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
    1992 katana 600f "working progress"

My buddy did this to his 92 Kat. He swapped out the headlight, the headlight mounting bracket (plastic part) and fabricated new brackets to hold everything. The Farings, I had cut and fiberglassed it to fit, making sure to leave the "faring split" in tact so he could take it apart for any
    maintenance.
    Any other questions, let me know. Ill get more info off him if needed
    If you think routine maintenance is expensive,... Try Ignorance!

Comment

did he fabricate the headlight brackets out of a stock bracket?or 100%custom work?as for the the farings you had to cut into the plastics to make them round to accept the new headlights correct?

Comment

In regards to the brackets, he used the stock mounting holes, but made a whole new metal bracket to go to the headlight mounting bracket going to the stock mounting holes on that. For the plastics, yes, I did cut into the Kats plastics to accept them. But I also used fiberglass to bend the ends around the headlight to give it more of a styilish look instead of leaving a weird looking cut plastic look. I went about a 1/2 inch out from the headlight, and molded it in. If I can get photos from him ill let you know. He sold the bike in the winter to get a 09 GSXR 750. But I know he's got photos lying around of the bike.. we took loads of them when doing the swap.

Comment

i would seriously appreciate it i just need one good pic of the lights on the bike preferably up close but ill take what i can get.the fiberglass work will be cake ive done it many times over i just need to see what his looks like so i can get a good idea of what it should look like.thanks for all your help so far!

Comment

i cant get the photos off him cause i kinda ****ed him off. A week ago we were out riding and he decided to full throttle it on the one highway leaving me in the dust. Well his dumb but got pulled over. Of coarse me and a few other people were picking on him when we got back to his place. He was trying to blame me for not telling him their were cops on that road. I told him to shove it and he took it to heart, so... I can tell you it did have a ok look. But what I seen was a rounded headlight on a kinda square body. In a way, I have to say it looked outta place. After awhile i got used to seeing it.

Comment

mreedohio has the GSXR 400 dual round headlights, looks pretty sweet. Much better than the cyclops eye.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                mreedohio has the GSXR 400 dual round headlights, looks pretty sweet. Much better than the cyclops eye.

you mean these gsxr400 headlights scotty

Chrome Project Part 1
                http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

The best way i can explain the look is it had a similar look to the 91 (I beleive) FZR1000. Round Headlights, kinda squared body. But as soon as my buddy decides to change his manpon, ill get a photo of his bike and send it to you.

Comment

thats looks really close to the setup i want mreedohio how hard was it to convert?

Comment

i was actually thinking about using a whole headight unit with two headlights in it like this one in the pic rather than having two seperate headlights.i am pretty sure i can do this and i will attempt it in over the nex few months.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The headlight you have in the pic wasn't what i put in. I must of put in another kinda headlight set-up. But looking at those and remembering what his bike looked like before the change, those would look killer in on it!! Garanteed

Comment

i hope so!!unfortunatly it will be awhile before i can do much to the bike due to the fact i have to save a grand to make my way to new york in july but when i get back home its on!

Comment

Originally posted by katana600Frider View Post
                            i hope so!!unfortunatly it will be awhile before i can do much to the bike due to the fact i have to save a grand to make my way to new york in july but when i get back home its on!
                            A grand? Dude, a roundtrip bus ticket is like $140
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

yeah i know but you gotta think WEDDING,KIDS, one week stay ,rental car,food ,gas,tux for me and my son and family that adds up to about a grand.but i will have a good time so im not to distraught about the situation.im going to grab small stuff here and there,definatly gotta get a battery soon

Comment

Working...
                              X