X

Truck Bed Liner Paint on Bike??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Bed Liner Paint on Bike??

Just ran across this Kat for sale on ebay and the seller said they used truck bed liner to give the bike a more durable paint job. I will be painting my bike in a few weeks and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with using truck bed liner paint on their bike? Also does anyone know if it's worth the extra money or if regular rattle can paint is just as durable?

We don't stop riding because we grow old, We grow old when we stop riding!

I have seen a couple bikes with "Rhino Lining". While it may be tough, I just don't care for the texture.
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

That stuff is great for off-road and dual sport bikes, but do you really want it on a nice bike like a Kat? You can get a decent paint job from a rattle can if you take your time and do the prep work, and you'll have waaaay more color choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch View Post
        I just don't care for the texture.
        Yeah that's the only thing that concerned me also. It would feel kind of nasty running your hands across a bumpy bike. But I think they have different grades of truck liner toughness you can buy where the paint isn't as rough.

Originally posted by kruzuki View Post
        You can get a decent paint job from a rattle can if you take your time and do the prep work, and you'll have waaaay more color choices.
        Yup, you're definitely right about there being way more color choices but the truck bed liner paint sounds like an interesting idea cause it will probably last longer than regular paint.
        Last edited by Dankid; 05-08-2009, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Will it stop road rash on the plastic?

If not, what's the point other than just being different?

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Will it stop road rash on the plastic?

If not, what's the point other than just being different?

Krey
            It's heavier as well

Comment

There is a pic of a Kat with this done around here somewhere...

Don't say I never did anything for ya .....
              Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.
              -2000 "750"

Comment

not my first choice for a custom paint job.
                2k6 Kat factory blue and white, lowered, mesh mod, shovel chopped, polished clutch and brake levers,V&H ss2r slip on, home made intagrated tail light, polished lips, 8k hid's and Joe's 40 led kit. All done by me learned from Katriders thanks.

Comment

If you drop the bike in the driveway , it MAY hold up better . But at speed , it ain't gonna matter all that much . If it suits you , have at it .
                  I did it to my swingarm and kick-plates , BTW . I kinda liked it , but I STILL wore through the kicks with my boots after a couple years . So whatever floats your boat .

That (^)was right after I was done painting the heel gaurds . And this (v)was after a year or 2 . I had recently done the swingarm in this pic , but it apparently had been on there a little while at this point . Colors look odd for some reason ....
                  Last edited by md86; 05-09-2009, 03:15 AM.
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

cheep paint and wear

can u say clear coat not to be a smart ***
                    Last edited by brian t; 05-09-2009, 04:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                      There is a pic of a Kat with this done around here somewhere...

Don't say I never did anything for ya .....
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...ht=truck+liner
                      Thanks for the link Cheriff. The close-up shots of the texture definitely made me decide against going with the truck liner paint on the whole bike. It looks

Comment

Originally posted by Dankid View Post
                        Yeah that's the only thing that concerned me also. It would feel kind of nasty running your hands across a bumpy bike. But I think they have different grades of truck liner toughness you can buy where the paint isn't as rough.

Yup, you're definitely right about there being way more color choices but the truck bed liner paint sounds like an interesting idea cause it will probably last longer than regular paint.
                        Yeah, truck liner belongs on homebrew dirt/dual sports and in the back of trucks.
                        Trust me it doesnt belong on a sporty bike.
                        Besides, go for a nice can repaint (choose some car manufacturer metallic paint in a can) then put a ton of clear coat, and slap on that 3m clear bra stuff, and you will have a nice looking and long lasting painjob.
                        WHOLEY MOELY, what a run-on sentance my first post had!

Comment

Originally posted by brian t View Post
                          cheep paint and wear

can u say clear coat not to be a smart ***
                          If you're referring to ME , then . You have NO idea ........
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You may be able able to haul more 2x4"s and plywood w/ the truck bed paint.Sorry, had to say it.
                            If you're looking for flat black:
                            Hot Rod Flatz or
                            Flattener in the clear for longevity.

Comment

my fork legs, swing arm, foot controls, pegs etc are all painted with truck bed liner, but I would never paint the plastics and tank with it...yuck
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                              X