X

Made a quickie undertail...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a quickie undertail...

So I decided to mess around and try my hand at making an undertail for my bike. It was mainly a practice run, and see how it works out on a trial basis before I get the full tail mod finished.

I still am looking at redoing my subframe support rails to hide them behind the tail fairings. When I do that, I'll do a different undertail to hide everything under there. But, for now...

What I used for tools.

A large piece of cardboard.
    Scissors
    A razor knife
    Needle Nose Pliers
    Drill
    Screw Driver

And a sheet of ABS plastic. I used 1/16" thickness, a little thinner but I wanted it to be very flexable for this application. The sheet comes with one side smooth, and one side rough. The rough side is shown in the picture. This was a scrap piece given to me, so that is the reason for the odd shape. It's sitting in a lawn chair for size perspective.

Time to start getting a pattern made. That is what the scissors and large cardboard piece is for.

I just started at the inside, and started to remove material to make the cardboard fit like I wanted it too.

Once I got one side pretty well worked out, I stared to trim the ABS plastic. The cool thing about the ABS sheets is they are really easy to work with in cutting out shapes. Take the razor knife, scrore a line where you would want to cut, and bend. It will snap right off in a clean line. For fine cuts and pieces, use the needle nose pliers for fine bends.

The next 30 mins or so was just cut, fit, recut, refit... till I got it where I wanted and in the right shape. Once that was done, I did a quick sand and rattle can paint to match the rest of the bike.

It's not supper slick, but then it's not supposed to be... it's a trial piece.

Once it was dry enough to handle, I mounted it up and went for a ride. First 2 up, and noticed it was going to rub very slightly. No major issue, as it's flexable enough to give when the tire hits it.

Solo, no rub at all. For the finished product I'll probably need to do a heat form to put in a curved spot right where it hits to prevent that going forward. At least now I know where it's going to hit.

Anways, thought I would share. It was just a learning experiment to see what worked, how it looked, where it rubbed if it did, so on. I'll probably leave it till I change out the sub frame rails.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

That looks cool if my kat was now lowered so much I would try my hand at it
    2k6 Kat factory blue and white, lowered, mesh mod, shovel chopped, polished clutch and brake levers,V&H ss2r slip on, home made intagrated tail light, polished lips, 8k hid's and Joe's 40 led kit. All done by me learned from Katriders thanks.

Comment

Nice work. If you wanted to prevent the tire rub (and the tell-tale black mark) mold in a rounded depression.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
        Nice work. If you wanted to prevent the tire rub (and the tell-tale black mark) mold in a rounded depression.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Solo, no rub at all. For the finished product I'll probably need to do a heat form to put in a curved spot right where it hits to prevent that going forward. At least now I know where it's going to hit.
        Krey

Why yes, I agree...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ah. Missed that line.
          -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

I LIKE IT! Thanks.

Comment

Good job!
              Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Get it perfect, make a mold, and shazzam! Pre-undertails for all.
                -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

good job.
                  Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                  Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
                    Get it perfect, make a mold, and shazzam! Pre-undertails for all.
                    YES, YES! I am in line for that purchase!

Comment

Doesn't Mreedohio offer ABS undertails with the wheel clearance already heat formed in?

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Nice job
                        This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                        BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          Doesn't Mreedohio offer ABS undertails with the wheel clearance already heat formed in?

Krey

very soon Krey, i got the ok with the supplier. i'm just waiting for them to get back to me so i can get them imported over here to the states.
                          Chrome Project Part 1
                          http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Looks good Krey!

But Dude!! You gotta do something about that rusted arse exhaust bracket!
                            2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                            BMC Notorious 918 HT
                            2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
                              Looks good Krey!

But Dude!! You gotta do something about that rusted arse exhaust bracket!

Yeah, I missed that when I painted the swinger... it was a piece of scrap steel I picked up and drilled to make work.

Need to pull it and the wheel spacers, and hit them all with a little paint. Might do that and a few other spots this Sunday if weather permits.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X