X

Powder coating tank/wheels few questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder coating tank/wheels few questions

So i just painted all of my fairings and decided I was going to powder coat the tank and wheels. I am blasting the parts myself. I am curious what I should use to blast the tank? I want to be sure not to damage the tank so it dosn't show any ripples, etc. Also, I need to de-rust the inside. I'm assuming the best time to do this is after I blast to clean out anything that gets in side? Do I need to protect the bare tank between sanding and powder coating, as it may be a few days? Any suggestions or things I need to be careful for would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

i would chemical strip the tank to avoid warping it and getting sand inside of the passages.
    "The country i am hearing now a days is a bunch of F***ing S*** to me" Hank Williams lll

Comment

^ u think the stripper will work well with the stickers under a thick clear coat?
      Last edited by pisioga16; 04-29-2009, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pisioga16 View Post
        ^ u think the stripper will work well with the stickers under a thick clear coat?
        aircraft stripper will take it all right off... with little issue.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I agree aircraft stripper is the way to go...usually you can find some at walmart in the automotive section

Comment

Alright I think I'll give it a shot. I'm curious if the bare metal is at risk of rust if theres a few days between strippin and powder coating?

Comment

Originally posted by pisioga16 View Post
              Alright I think I'll give it a shot. I'm curious if the bare metal is at risk of rust if theres a few days between strippin and powder coating?
              Not so much if you keep it dry...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

bare steel and water are not friends, nor is sand in your fuel lines! Do what you can to avoid both and youll be fine ...would love to see some finished pics of the tank I never seen one powder coated b-4
                Joker
                The newest addition to the Family!
                sigpic
                stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

thanks for the help guys! I will be sure to post some pics of the finished product.

Comment

Awwshum!
                    Joker
                    The newest addition to the Family!
                    sigpic
                    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Working...
                    X