X

Need some Plastic/Fairing help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some Plastic/Fairing help

What type of repair method should I use for this portion of the fairing that has broken off

(the right side has been broken off for a while and I do have the original piece)

Fiberglass?
    Bondo?
    Plastic Welding?
    Gum?
    Other?

you forgot duct tape...

I would look into plastic welding... i think that would give you the best chance of it being a permanent job.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Plastic welding is the best method. Next best is going to be glass but you really, really gotta prep the surface up rough or it will never stick.
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

+1 on plastic welding...just drive down to Sacramento and I'll fix it for you! I do ok at plastic welding

Comment

plastic welding is the best but glass will work ok too

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Plastic weld I agree on but only if it isn't a high stress area IMO. I have some to do also but I am thinking new plastics instead because I don't quite trust my talent as a plastic welder yet.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Plastic weld if it is a mounting point / high-stress point. Otherwise just glass it.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

I had some plastic welding done to repair the fairing on my previous bike after I went down. I paid the guy $50 and he basically filled in everything I needed sloppily.

When he was finished (took about an hour) I sanded the welds flush and smooth, then had the piece stripped and repainted. It was as good as new and had no weak points.
                I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Working...
                X