No announcement yet.
X

i have a couple painting questions!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on the paint. When you get the color mixed, and select your paint type, they have a data sheet with mixing instructions and cure times- thes are good for time periods between coats, time until its safe to touch, safe to sand, etc...

generally i give my stuff a couple days. i'll paint on friday, sand on monday. Paintings just one of those things you shouldnt rush. the two days is probably excessive, but at least wait 24hrs. at least.

in my case i used 3 coats of high gloss urethane black, with no clear
    charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

well it all depends on the condition of the paint on the bike. if its chiped and cracked in areas then you have to sand it and feather edge them areas, and with the rest you can do whats called scuff sanding if the rest of the paint is good, scuff sanding is when you sand just the clear or paint with 400-600 gritt sand paper, this provides your new paint a grabing point, once you have the all the areas feather edged and scuff sanded then you would lay down two coats of High build surfacer build (I recommend high build instead of light build) and then once cured you would sand that and use guid coat (black rattle can paint) to check for high and low spots, then fix them, once done with that recoat in two light coats of primer, once the primer has flashed and not fully cured apply your color, make sure to use a color card and check your variances to make sure thats how u want to paint to look. once you figured how many coats you need to acheave the depth of the color you want aply them coats, but make sure to only let it flash between each coat other you have a chance of contaminating the paint. when done aplying the color then apply your clear, you should only need what i recommand four coats of clear, if you do a good job at clearing it you wont have to wet sand anything at all and just put it on the bike but thats hard to do... if you have any runs, sags, orange peel, or anything like that just lightly wet sand it with black 2000 gritt sand paper and then buff... and that all you need to do. hope this helps you and others

Comment

Working...
      X