X

Windscreen install

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen install

OK. So I have searched and didn't find anything. What is an easy way to install a windscreen an a 99 kat. It takes me forever to do it and it is just a PITA. I am almost certain I am not doing it right. I can get the lower two but the 2 with the rubber garments things suck. I hate taking apart my bike because I can't get those stupid garments on.
    Is that your bike outside? I ride.... competitively.

If it's a PITA it sounds like you're probably doing it right. Remove bottom middle plug thing, unscrew the 4 bolts, remove rubber grommets, remove windscreen, and do the reverse to put the new one in. Should take about 5 mins.

Comment

AHHHHH! It took me about an hour last time.

Comment

i hate messing with the windscreen cause those rubber things really are a PITA... i hate them, one of them broke the last time i fiddled with the wind screen. i had to sit there and hold the windscreen in place, and the fairing, and the rubber thing, and try to screw the bolt in. that was fun... i either need a new one, or some super glue to try and fix the damn thing
        2004 Katana
        GO OWLS!!!

Comment

I am thinking instead of bolting the rest of the fairing first, do the 2 upper windscreen garment things first, then go from there. Might have a little more movement to work around with. And if that doesn't speed up the process, I will resort to some tape and call it a day.

Comment

I just painted my windscreen and had the same pains you are. I ripped those grommets out went to the hardware store and got different ones without the bulge in the middle. They still work great and now when I take it off I just have to unscrew and pull them out of the holes.

Comment

Are you all mostly referring to 98+? I have the plastics off right now for body work and painting and noticed that 3 of the windscreen metal grommets in the fairing are not there. Only one there. Is this basically what the screw threads thru for the windscreen. BTW, I have a 94.
              FROM WORK:
              "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

ok, those rubber things come off and go in real dreamy for me and I will tell you how.

Removal:

remove the 2 phillips head screws located on the "dash"

take off the front plastic housing containing the third eye

remove plastic fastener located at the bottom of the screen. To do so you need to gently pry the middle portion until it pops out then slip the remainder of the fastener out.

take a hold of the screen near the side (where the rubber fastener is located) and gently pull until the fastener slips through the fairing. Repeat for other side.

the windscreen will now be separated from the bike and the rubber fastener will still be on the windscreen. Gently pull the rubber fastener out of the windscreen from the rear of the windscreen so it slips out the same way it did on the fairing.

Installation.

line the windscreen up with the holes and insert the bottom plastic fastener.

line up the top hole on one side. apply a small amount of lubricant on the rubber fastener and put the screw in the fastener and just catch the thread a bit. Put the allen key in the screw and line up the fastener with the holes and gently push in the ruber fastener. It will slide into place easily. repeat for other side. tighten the screws

put the plastic housing back on.

put the phillips head screws back in.
                R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Yeah. I was referring to +98. I am not sure how the pre 98 workl out. And JZ67, Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a go.

Comment

Wow, 98+ sounds intense.
                    FROM WORK:
                    "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

Ok. So I found that fitting the top two screws by the wind screen first before the rest of the farring is a whole lot easier.took about 10 minutes instead of the normal hour or so it took when bolting up the rest of the farring first.

Comment

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
                        Are you all mostly referring to 98+? I have the plastics off right now for body work and painting and noticed that 3 of the windscreen metal grommets in the fairing are not there. Only one there. Is this basically what the screw threads thru for the windscreen. BTW, I have a 94.
                        Pre is 4 screws with rubber washers. The nuts stay on the upper fairing. Only problem I have with them is they're aluminum and the holes for the allen wrench are all stripped out. Have to use a torx bit to grab them.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I had two bolts holding the windscreen in place and the hardware did not look OE, lol.
                          FROM WORK:

Comment

Those rubber things are a pain, I completely agree. It took me a good hour but you'll figure out a system once you get going. Have pliers to pry open the crack helps a lot and tiny fingers but you can't really do much about that one

Comment

First: i have a pre:
                              i have some random aftermarket windscreen and in my attempt to take it off, none of the things holding it on were bolts, they looked like rivets to me almost, ill get some pictures when i get the chance,

i was attempting to take all of my fairings off but couldnt because the windscreen and fairings seemed to be attached to the frame ( which yes i know it is supposed to) but i just couldnt figure out where and why i couldnt get it apart. i figured at that point i would just pull of the whole front fairing pieces, like the LH and RH main fairings plus windsceen stil attached, but i couldnt get in there to get the last bolt out.

anyway, i probably wont get much response from this, once the weather clears up again ill get out and check on it, and get some pictures

last question: can you take just the windscreenoff without removing the fairings?.
                              "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X