X

Paint/Plastic safe degreaser?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint/Plastic safe degreaser?

Hey guys, we're going to be doing some cleaning this weekend.
    My wife and will are going to take all the plastics off our bikes and clean out the insides.
    This will give me a chance to work on the headlight wiring problems I've been having too

We're wanting to get all the road scum off the insides and under the belly.
    Wanting to pick up something that'll help get grease and caked on crap, off. I don't know what will be safe for the paint and plastic though.

Carb cleaner, brake cleaner, engine cleaner, gasoline?
    I heard Kerosene is good for cleaning chains, because it doesn't hurt the O-rings.

Suggestions please!

Kerosene for chains is good. Keep carb cleaner away from your paint. Don't know about anything else, sorry

Comment

Kerosene is good, WD40 is actually good too. Simple Green Max is another of my favorites. Once the grease is all off, wash it all with a good automotive soap, then hit it with coat of wax.
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
        Kerosene is good, WD40 is actually good too. Simple Green Max is another of my favorites. Once the grease is all off, wash it all with a good automotive soap, then hit it with coat of wax.
        Yea I was reading on webbikeworld.com about using the WD40 on the chain, and how it may or may not get past the O-rings. Figured if there was any question about it, I'd just stay away from it. The Motul Road Chain Lube I'm using has kerosene in it, and its good enough for getting everyday dirt off. But I'd still like to give it a good scrub with just kerosene maybe twice a year. Beginning and end of the season or something. I've got a GRUNDGE brush, its pretty cool. I recommend it if anyone needs a good chain brush.

I Think I've seen the Simple Green Max stuff at walmart. I've used the regular simple green before for other things, its pretty good. I'll check it out.

The soap I use is that pink Meg's crystal car wash stuff. Works just great!
        For some reason my dad hates, it always leaves streaks on his van. I bet he uses too much.

Using the Meg's tech wax paste, and the NXT liquid with a cordless random orbital polisher. Its low RPM so it works great. The pads are too big to get some of the Kat's curves, that's when I use the paste by hand.

Comment

I always say it your not sure then use hot soapy water. But Kerosene is great on the chain!

Comment

WD40 is great for taking off road tar and grease. Dawn dish soap and hot water works too but you'll have to wax afterwards.
            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

purple power is what we use. dosn't hurt paint
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
                WD40 is great for taking off road tar and grease. Dawn dish soap and hot water works too but you'll have to wax afterwards.
                yes, the wd40 works. just cleaned the swingarm.. ohmygod it was like a cleansing scourge of holy fire upon the unbelieving masses.
                joey b.

Comment

Simple Green is great stuff
                  2007 Honda CBR600rr
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                  sigpic

Comment

For chain cleaning specifically I use a Nalgene wash bottle full of kerosene, simple and effective. http://www.nalgenelabware.com/produc...category_name=
                    2000 Katana 600
                    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Yeah WD the miracle drug
                      Pray Ride Live Love

1994 GSX600F

Comment

Hey thanks guys
                        We ended up getting some concentrated Simple green, poured some in a spray bottle with very little water. Worked great!

I was using some electronics cleaner to work on my wiring harness connectors.
                        I noticed its primary ingredient was Hexane, a petrolium product.
                        Used the rest of the can on the chain, then pressure washed it.
                        Lubed it back up with the Motul Road chain lube stuff.
                        I'm going to have to get back in there with my grundge brush one day and scrub it some more.
                        There's still crap between the links and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph2027 View Post
                          purple power is what we use. dosn't hurt paint
                          GREAT stuff . Was the BEST thing I found for getting oil off the driveway (and anywhere else) . I have a hard time finding it around here anymore , though . Now I keep Simple Green on hand . Not as good , but fine for degreasing fairings .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                            GREAT stuff . Was the BEST thing I found for getting oil off the driveway (and anywhere else) . I have a hard time finding it around here anymore , though . Now I keep Simple Green on hand . Not as good , but fine for degreasing fairings .
                            Walmarts here in Louisville, KY carry that purple stuff.
                            Right next to the green stuff lol

Comment

I wouldn't use brake fluid as it eats paint.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X