X

Thoughts/ Experiences with Aftermarket Kat Fairings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts/ Experiences with Aftermarket Kat Fairings

I have one currently on the left side of the bike that was installed by the previous owner. He told me that it was a pain to install these since the holes are not predrilled. It seems that these are ALMOST per par for fit, but to me the lines seem not as sharp. What do you all think about these? I know you can find factory ones on ebay, but it seems that all of them are cracked or had been laid down on. The good ones are not far off from the price of the new ones. Please help, my new baby needs some coverage!!!
    Nik

Has them listed on their site, search by bike and then under body
    88 Katana GSX600F, 19k miles, Total Custom- Soon to be revealed!!!!!!!

You might also want to pop by JCWhitney, which also carry the pre-98 fairings (ABS, not fiberglass, from what I've been told).

I found aftermarket fairings to be a PIA because of the mounting issues -- but I only tried a set on my gf's Ninja 500. Ended up selling it and getting hers plastic welded and repainted by EmpireGP.com instead.

[edit] The real PIA with the Airtech fairing was the headlight -- the aftermarket fairing had zero attachment points for it, and it was enough of a PIA that I said $#% that.
    [/edit]

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

if you have patients and time the aftermakret ones are fine, also its a good way to learn to be innovative on how to mark holes and souch also if you dump it it wont be as much for new ones down the drain cuz the knock offs are cheaper too

Comment

there is also airtech and meijer (spelling?) plastics out there for the Kat.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Yeah , but I've read the Maier stuff is "sub-standard" .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

thats what i have on mine and i havnt had an issue exp the retard that put them on couldnt drill holes (the guy that painted my bike last year)

Comment

Anyone know of any aftermarket for 98+??

Comment

Originally posted by cobra1379
                Anyone know of any aftermarket for 98+??
                Doesn't exist, to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

has anyone ever tried putting the 98+ fairings on a pre 98 just wondering how hard it is mainly the rear ones my bike has no fairings rightnow just got it running and am ready to put ome bodywork on just weighing l my options

Comment

Originally posted by paul3
                    has anyone ever tried putting the 98+ fairings on a pre 98 just wondering how hard it is mainly the rear ones my bike has no fairings rightnow just got it running and am ready to put ome bodywork on just weighing l my options
                    Look at BraadaJim's Kat. He did a bunch of hand-work to merge the 98+ and pre-98 body work together.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i can't remember which brand i went with but they were cheap aftermarket ones, and i think they worked well. sucked drilling the holes and fitting them, but they fit even better than what i had on before. although i bought it used and dont know if it was stock fairings or not.

Comment

Originally posted by LordKeryth
                        i can't remember which brand i went with but they were cheap aftermarket ones, and i think they worked well. sucked drilling the holes and fitting them, but they fit even better than what i had on before. although i bought it used and dont know if it was stock fairings or not.
                        Were the replacements fiberglass or ABS plastic?

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

They were plastic and i checked and they were Maier. And i have read a few comments about people having problems with gaps, and mine were bad. around the tank was about an inch or so and around the light was at least half an inch. now, with the maier, they are all nice and snug. and they were painted on easily too. didnt take hardly any prep.

Comment

Are all fairings painted or are they like 4-wheeler or dirtbike fenders with the color just in the plastic??

Comment

Originally posted by cobra1379
                              Are all fairings painted or are they like 4-wheeler or dirtbike fenders with the color just in the plastic??
                              Suzuki motorcycle fairings are painted. The OEM plastic is black, but comes from the factory pre-painted (including OEM replacements if you order them -- make sure you order them in the right color scheme!). Aftermarket fairings are often white, because they've usually already been sprayed with primer.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X