X

Krylon Fusion Paint

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krylon Fusion Paint

I used this type of paint b4 on my old car to paint exterior parts and it seemed to hold pretty well. Has ne one tried painting thier bike with it b4? its a no sanding or priming paint. you can paint over existing paint and then clearcoat over top of it and it will hold up to bugs and rocks, did on my car ne how.
    R.I.P. CYBERPOET

***WE WILL RIDE TOGETHER AGAIN ONE DAY***

well id clean it as good as I could regardless

Comment

I know people use primer as a smooth base but also when you are changing colors. I might try if I find the right colors.
      FROM WORK:
      "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

fusion is works great. I'll post my pic tomorrow to show what it came out like. But if prep the surface with plastic primer from rustoleum..
        Riding is like a roll-a-coaster that you control

Comment

I used it on my Givi bags when I changed bikes... but not before trying to color-match the bags with the "right" factory (ColorRite) paints and running into issues due to the local environment (child with glitter, humidity when applying the clear-coat). Ended up sanding the bags back down and spraying them with Fusion.

But even in doing fairings, I'd sand them back down to the plastic first (Krylon brand fusion does contain plastic-etching primers & adhesion promoters specifically intended for plastics -- but clearcoat finishes on most bikes are NOT plastic-based).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
          CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
          The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

used it on my r1... both yellow and black... still holding up well more than a year later...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Nice Alll Black

Cyber, are you saying that Krylon Fusion paint has a primer built into the color or that the Fusion Primer is an etching primer? I am unsure whether I am going to change the color or not. Well I will have to considering I am not going back to the factory Anteres Red.
              FROM WORK:
              "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
                Cyber, are you saying that Krylon Fusion paint has a primer built into the color or that the Fusion Primer is an etching primer?
                I'm saying that Fusion paint is specifically formulated to go onto raw plastic with zero other prep-work other than simple degreasing/de-oiling of the surface (i.e. wash with alcohol or other compound that will leave the plastic clean). That is specifically what Fusion was developed, intended, and designed for -- to go onto plastic without any additional primers, etchers, etc. That's it's specific niche or forte.

As for coverage and color masking, expect it to take four or six thin coats to cover a darker plastic. We used yellow fusion on the concrete-filled ABS tubes used as bollards I put in the motorcycle parking spot build a few weeks ago -- the ABS tubes were light blue with black print down one side, and took many light coats to cover [or two thick coats if you want to think of it that way], while the end-caps were white and took the color in two light coats).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

LOL, the more I learn about Fusion the more I think I will use only because I am not looking for a show quality paint and also I am going to see some track days so a beauty job is not in the plans.
                  FROM WORK:

Comment

LOL, the more I learn about Fusion the more I think I will use only because I am not looking for a show quality paint and also I am going to see some track days so a beauty job is not in the plans.
                    It looks good in the sense most powdercoating looks good -- it just doesn't have any depth to it. On the up-side, once you paint with it, retouching is as simple as another can (make sure you pick a non-novelty color -- if you pick some weird color scheme that's only around for a year, like I suspect their new mottled gold will be, you might be stuck repainting the whole thing later).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i used fusion on dirt bike plastic once , make sure you sand any paint off first you want to be at the plastic surface other wise the fusion paint scratches off with a fingernail it will not stick well to primers or other paint at all as it is designed to be put directly onto the plastic

Comment

Six cans (four coats) of Krylon Fusion Gloss Burgundy went on my 1100. So far so good. Check my garage.

Krylon claims no surface cracking or spider webs. I did find the beginnings of a web stretched between the cowl and fender. Chased the critter away.

Comment

RC that is a really nice paint job. Good work.
                          FROM WORK:

Comment

RC that is a really nice paint job. Good work.
                            Thanks! "I learned that the word "painting" is really a misnomer. Almost all of the time and effort goes into pre or post painting tasks. Also, it's important to buy paint cans from the same lot. I bought a sixth can of paint from a different source and it was not exactly the same color as the first five.

Comment

Looks awesome RC.

Maybe a dumb question, but if you use Krylon Fusion on the plastics, what type of Krylon do you use on the tank and the metal?

TIA

Brian
                              --
                              Brian Johnson
                              http://brianjo.spaces.live.com

Comment

Working...
                              X