X

Getting rid of surface rust ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of surface rust ?

This Katana sat for about a year .. needless to say..the exhaust got some surface rust on it..ive thoroly checked it and it is only on the surface and thats all..no holes or anything deep.

how do I get ride of surface rust without ruining the exhaust ? I love the sound of the D & D so I dont want to have to get a new exhaust unless I have to.

I've had good luck with http://www.nevrdull.com/

But you'll need to use something after you have applied the stuff, or the metal will get hazy.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Try vinegar or coke.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If the pipe is stainless, just polish it. Any stainless polishing compound will work.

If it's plated, and rusting.. it's going to be pitted a little bit. Any basic rust remover will work, then polish the coating afterwards to get the best, but still slightly spotted look you can.
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Turtle wax chrome polish with rust remover did the trick for me

Comment

First I'd try some fine steel wool then some wadding polish. A little elbow grease and a few beers later it should look ALOT better.

Comment

thanks for all the input guys ...im going to elbow grease this one Saturday morning...today was wayyyyy too cold.

Comment

hey I work at a body shop I know something that will work def i use it all the time and it wil get in the pits and tuff spots. This will sound crazy but it work i swear . Take some steel wool with some glass cleaner . If you dont have glass cleaner wd40 will work also . Apply the glass cleaner or wc40 and just rubb down steel and dont be afraid to really brush it and if you leary on taking it to your pipe just try a little on the bottom just so you see it works and you will have piece of mind that this wont kill your pipe . well let me know how you make out.

Comment

First ask yourself why you got a D&D.... and then buy a scorpion. Lifetime warrantee so all you'd be doing right now is mailing it back for a new one. Oh and its stainless galvanized steel, so it shouldn't happen in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                    First ask yourself why you got a D&D.... and then buy a scorpion. Lifetime warrantee so all you'd be doing right now is mailing it back for a new one. Oh and its stainless galvanized steel, so it shouldn't happen in the first place.
                    Eh?...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by cordani85 View Post
                      . If you dont have glass cleaner .

bro my name is windex lol...take a guess what I love to use to clean things with lol

ill have to try everything until it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Eh?...

Krey
                        Galvanized steel has gone through a chemical process to keep it from corroding. The steel gets coated in layers of zinc because rust won't attack this protective metal. For countless outdoor, marine, or industrial applications, galvanized steel is an essential fabrication component.

The principal method of making steel resist corrosion is by alloying it with another metal, zinc. When steel is submerged in melted zinc, the chemical reaction permanently bonds the zinc to the steel through galvanizing. Therefore, the zinc isn't exactly a sealer, like paint, because it doesn't just coat the steel; it actually permanently becomes a part of it.

The zinc goes through a reaction with the iron molecules within the steel to form galvanized steel. The most external layer is all zinc, but successive layers are a mixture of zinc and iron, with an interior of pure steel. These multiple layers are responsible for the amazing property of the metal to withstand corrosion-inducing circumstances, such as saltwater or moisture.

Zinc also protects the steel by acting as a "sacrificial layer." If, for some reason, rust does take hold on the surface of galvanized steel, the zinc will get corroded first. This allows the zinc that is spread over the breach or scratch to prevent rust from reaching the steel.

The degree of galvanizing is usually represented as the zinc's weight per surface area rather than the thickness of the zinc, because this gives a better representation of how much metal has been applied. Steel often gets galvanized after individual parts have been formed, such as braces, nails, screws, beams, or studs. However, raw galvanized steel in sheets will withstand some bending and forming without flaking.

Galvanized steel can be found almost everywhere. You might be living in a steel frame house. You are no doubt surrounded by steel parts in your car that allow it to emerge from rainstorms unscathed. Many people work in an office with metal roofing made of galvanized steel. Besides being inexpensive and effective, this metal is popular because it can be recycled and reused multiple times.

Just another reason german cars > american cars. My dads 86 porsche doesn't have a spot of rust... but our 2006 yukon already does.
                        Last edited by IndyGunner; 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                          Galvanized steel has gone through a chemical process to keep it from corroding. The steel gets coated in layers of zinc because rust won't attack this protective metal. For countless outdoor, marine, or industrial applications, galvanized steel is an essential fabrication component.

The principal method of making steel resist corrosion is by alloying it with another metal, zinc. When steel is submerged in melted zinc, the chemical reaction permanently bonds the zinc to the steel through galvanizing. Therefore, the zinc isn't exactly a sealer, like paint, because it doesn't just coat the steel; it actually permanently becomes a part of it.

The zinc goes through a reaction with the iron molecules within the steel to form galvanized steel. The most external layer is all zinc, but successive layers are a mixture of zinc and iron, with an interior of pure steel. These multiple layers are responsible for the amazing property of the metal to withstand corrosion-inducing circumstances, such as saltwater or moisture.

Zinc also protects the steel by acting as a "sacrificial layer." If, for some reason, rust does take hold on the surface of galvanized steel, the zinc will get corroded first. This allows the zinc that is spread over the breach or scratch to prevent rust from reaching the steel.

The degree of galvanizing is usually represented as the zinc's weight per surface area rather than the thickness of the zinc, because this gives a better representation of how much metal has been applied. Steel often gets galvanized after individual parts have been formed, such as braces, nails, screws, beams, or studs. However, raw galvanized steel in sheets will withstand some bending and forming without flaking.

Galvanized steel can be found almost everywhere. You might be living in a steel frame house. You are no doubt surrounded by steel parts in your car that allow it to emerge from rainstorms unscathed. Many people work in an office with metal roofing made of galvanized steel. Besides being inexpensive and effective, this metal is popular because it can be recycled and reused multiple times.

Just another reason german cars > american cars. My dads 86 porsche doesn't have a spot of rust... but our 2006 yukon already does.
                          Which is why galvanized.... and stainless... don't go together. It's one or the other, and the reason I posted my ... eh?...

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

good call.

Now what was I thinking???

Comment

Working...
                            X