X

OE vinyl on fairings, OK to sand for paint

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OE vinyl on fairings, OK to sand for paint

I just wanted to know if it was ok to sand down the oe stickers on the fairings when I am sanding the body. I will be using 80 grit.
    FROM WORK:
    "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

I would suggest removing vinyl by other methods ,cause you are going to hit adhesive and that will be a mess
    Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Thansk for the link. I think I will try the boiling water first.
      FROM WORK:
      "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

When I took mine off, I simply used a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive a bit, and peeled the sticker off. All remaining adhesive came right off with a bit of Goo Gone.
        ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
        チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
        Semper Fi

Comment

Peeling the sticker works well with a heat gun or hair dryer..but you still have to clean the adhesive.

If you plan on repainting anyway, and if the stickers are older than a few years old, just hit it with 120 grit sandpaper. It'll take it right off.

Although an EASIER way (meaning less work) is to buy one of the 'eraser' or 'magic' wheels for your drill. It's like a giant pencil eraser, and you just 'buff' the sticker and adhesive off. Be easy with though, it'll remove the sticker and adhesive without alot of 'gorilla' assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
            When I took mine off, I simply used a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive a bit, and peeled the sticker off. All remaining adhesive came right off with a bit of Goo Gone.
            R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
              Peeling the sticker works well with a heat gun or hair dryer..but you still have to clean the adhesive.

If you plan on repainting anyway, and if the stickers are older than a few years old, just hit it with 120 grit sandpaper. It'll take it right off.

Although an EASIER way (meaning less work) is to buy one of the 'eraser' or 'magic' wheels for your drill. It's like a giant pencil eraser, and you just 'buff' the sticker and adhesive off. Be easy with though, it'll remove the sticker and adhesive without alot of 'gorilla' assistance.

The eraser wheels are definately the way to go! but On the plastic yo have to go slow and easy or you will mar the plastic.

Comment

i did not need to use anything to take off the vinyl on mine.. it came right off by pulling veeeeeeeeery slowwwwwwwwwwly. at a 90 degree angle.
                joey b.

Comment

i tested the 80 grit on a small section and seems pretty good. I got down to the adhesive seems like. It is all white but is flush with the paint around it. Gonna try some more today.

I forgot to mention the bike is a 94 600 with 14K. Original paint and graphics. I tried to pill off but did not work.
                  Last edited by redciv1; 03-23-2009, 11:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  FROM WORK:

Comment

Yeh ... i think the adhesive on the stock vinyl could have held the titanic together. Sanding it if your already sanding won't hurt anything. Just make sure you prep/clean your fairings VERY well before laying any paint down, other wise, you get to start over, which sucks
                    Currently Riding:
                    1995 Katana 600
                    V&H Exhaust
                    Jet Kit

SOLD
                    2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                    1987 XV700 Bobber
                    REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Tried a little more today after work and it worked. Whew, that is a lot of sanding. I think I'm going to look for a wheel for the drill. Those graphics on the main fairings are huge. I have the Red with Pink, lavender and red graphics.
                      FROM WORK:

Comment

That boiling water is definitely the trick. My kettle is small, but it is quick and messy free. BTW, the S U Z U K I letters are invdividual, what a pain, lol.
                        FROM WORK:

Comment

Working...
                        X