X

Plastic under mirrors.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic under mirrors.

I have searched to no avail, but i am curious about the plastic behind the mirrors On my 93, the plastic behind the mirrors are busted all the way out . Will the mirrors still bolt up? it is cracked out in the recessed area. I am curious if anyone has sucessfully repaired this area. any threads to point me to? thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 600Katana; 03-16-2009, 08:25 PM.

A pic would help...not sure what you're asking.
    -
    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

pics up, any suggestions?

Comment

When I bought my bike. Both mirror openings that you are referring to were gone. Th mirrors bolt up to the fairing stay.
        FROM WORK:
        "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

The recess mount areas for my front turn signals were completely punched out by the previous owner of my 1100. It was a botched attempt to install flush mount signals. Ideally the voids should first be filled with pieces of ABS plastic to fit the holes, I used sheet brass to cover the voids and simulate the mounting recesses from the backside of the cowling. Plastic weld was used to generally smooth the contours. After sanding and smoothing with 3 different grits of sandpaper, I applied primer, resanded, then drilled the mounting holes. After paint, cleacoat and wet sanding... Good as new.

Comment

so the mirrors wont cover it?

Comment

Almost... but that is one of the mounting points for the fairings.

What I would do....

Clean up the holes a little so they are less jagged. Cut out new pieces from either an ABS sheet or another fairing that is scrap. Fit them in, and using ABS cement, I would put them in place. Sand a little, reapply some ABS. Due to the location, it would not be a bad idea to re-inforce from the rear with another thin layer of ABS or a mesh in with the ABS on the back side.

Sand as nessasary to shape and smoth back out, and it will pretty much be good as new. Just remember not to build it up too thick there, as the fairing stay meets up there for the mirrors to bolt onto.

Here is a thread where I filled a hole at another spot on the fairings for you to see what I mean.

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

Plenty of good info in that thread to help you out.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks for the input

Comment

The mirrors will still bolt up just fine . They actually bolt to the birdcage . So the plastic ain't even gotta BE there , and the mirrors will still mount up just fine . However , there IS a chance the mounting tabs are bent (happens when bikes fall down) , or so rusty they may need tapped to get the bolts in there .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X