X

brighter headlights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brighter headlights?

just want to know if anyone knows a place that can maybe replace the glass on the pre's headlight? i'm talking about changing the glass lens to a clear one(like the ones on newer bikes) i am thinking that it will make the lights output more for brighter if i do decide to stick and not change the OEM ones. thanks

something that looks like this

instead of this

PAUL
    93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Those both looked pretty clear to me, but are you talking about how the glass on ours have all the cuts in it to diffuse the light, as opposed to a clear lens with the rear reflector having the cuts in it? I dunno, but I'm gonna push those Sylvania Silverstars again, I've got the brightest headlight among all my SS buddies, and it's just a 55/60 with an awesome white color to it. I don't suggest doing it, but I even ride just fine at night still with my tinted visor.
    '01 TL1000R

Comment

i got Hyper - Whites on now, but if i could get it brighter w/o having to re-wire would be better. i'm talking about how the glass on ours looks a little "cloudy" if you look at the headlights on those newer cars (like a BMW or a Mercedes) and look at those mid-90 cars, you'll know what i'm talking about. maybe i'm looking for something that doesnt even exist
      PAUL
      93 GSXF6 PIX.

Comment

the reflecting glass is meant to be like that to diffuse the light, if you change it you might as well put a lantern on the front of your bike

Comment

Cloudy because of age , maybe ? I saw some thingy in an infomecial or something that said it could "polish" plastic to get it clear again ...
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            Cloudy because of age , maybe ? I saw some thingy in an infomecial or something that said it could "polish" plastic to get it clear again ...
            Ok now I'm getting confused. Aren't all pre98 headlight lenses glass? If that's the case, how's it gettin' cloudy? I understand what you are talking about though, I had a toyota 4x4 with plastic lenses that looked all milky. I cleared those up by hitting it with Nevr-Dull about 9 times. I've also heard of strange things to use such as mosquito spray. But we don't necessarily have that problem with a glass lense.
            Like Jonsblckhwk mentioned, those cuts are meant to diffuse the light for a reason. On newer cars and bikes the lens is smooth allowing you to clearly see inside, while I guess the reflective backside does all the work of diffusing the light. That look would be great to have, but it's a matter of replacing the whole assembly with something that would for sure be a custom job, rather than just clearing up a lense.
            '01 TL1000R

Comment

I couldn't remember , I thought the lense was plastic for some reason .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

well, forget i said cloudy! look at this pix of the pre's headlight:

notice how the lens looks like theres lines on the back side of the lens inside the glass? now compare it to this
                this is the lens i want: (or atleast looks like)

notice the lines are behind the bulbs (on the reflector-i think thats called)
                this side view shot shows the lens are clear(no lines)

does that make sense now? reason i'm asking is that i think if i can get this kind to replace my headlights now, it would be less work coz it would be a direct swap(no mods to the plastic or mounts) and as a result, brighter lights (ever complained how the light on those new BMW's are blinding?) i want cagers to say that about my bikes headlights for a change (wait till i turn the hi-beams on )
                PAUL
                93 GSXF6 PIX.

Comment

Yeah I knew what you meant, that's exactly what I was describing.

Originally posted by mystahagy
                  Like Jonsblckhwk mentioned, those cuts are meant to diffuse the light for a reason. On newer cars and bikes the lens is smooth allowing you to clearly see inside, while I guess the reflective backside does all the work of diffusing the light.
                  Honestly though I'm not sure if it translates into brighter light. Those BMW's you speak of are running HID's anyways, very different.
                  Initially you spoke of just replacing the lens, are you wanting to swap that whole R1/R6? housing in now? I dunno man, would be cool if there was some conversion that would fit in the original location, which I don't think exists. If those mounted properly to the front, it would be worth cutting up the front fairings for the shape, that would look awesome.
                  '01 TL1000R

Comment

I bet with a little bit of plastic fabricating and cutting, and a new bracket to hold up those lights, it could be done and look pretty smooth on the post 98's.

So, who's gona be the first one to try it?????
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                    X