Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My Kat 750's paint job... watch it happen!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kat 750's paint job... watch it happen!

DONE!!! Please don't forget to watch for me in the May 2009 KOTM Pimpin thread. I'm hoping for a nomination.

More here

So this is the picture thread for my paint and body job. As I update the thread, I'll be adding all my pictures to this post.

I'll start with some before pictures:

In this pic, you can see some of the PO's road rash.

2009/02/17: Pulled most of the plastics off the bike.

So here's a couple of pics of my tiny workspace (aka shed)

02/20/2009 - Progress
    02/21/2009 - Progress
    03/08/2009 - Progress
    03/09/2009 - Progress
    03/19/2009 - Progress
    03/21/2009 - Progress

That's it for now!
    Last edited by Dexter; 07-10-2011, 08:48 PM. Reason: Update!
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

From what I see the damage doesn't look that bad. You will like that easy cote.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

The damage isn't that bad, I'm just anxious to shed the very 80's looking color scheme for something more modern. The bike is going to be red on top and silver on the bottom. It will also have silver decals.

sigpic

Comment

Sweet, thanks for sharing. I will be following this thread.... I'm a bodyshop n00b and hope to learn from this.

Ironically, I want that 80's color scheme you have!
        1995 Suzuki Katana GSX750F

Comment

Too bad we can't just trade plastics!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post

Comment

Anxious to see it completed! I do have to admit I like the 80's blk/red/silver scheme though.
              Originally posted by katanawarrior
              I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

lol, that would only upgrade you to the 90's. (cue Miami Vice theme song...)

Comment

Originally posted by Shifty View Post
                  Anxious to see it completed! I do have to admit I like the 80's blk/red/silver scheme though.
                  I thought it was black/red/silver before I bought it... it's actually navy blue, red and silver. If it didn't have the spots of road rash on the right side from the previous owner I would keep the colors because I don't mind them so much either.

sigpic

Comment

I thought it was black/red/silver before I bought it... it's actually navy blue, red and silver. If it didn't have the spots of road rash on the right side from the previous owner I would keep the colors because I don't mind them so much either.
                    I did a double-take on the picture of your bike w/out the fairings on. Yep, def navy blue. Weird.

Comment

I suspected it was blue. Well that's too bad. You should go back with something similar but black instead.

Comment

Maybe it was originally black... because the blue has been resprayed for sure. It's higher than the stripes. Usually it's the other way around. I know the right fairing has been repaired in one spot at least once before.

sigpic

Comment

What colors are you going back with?

Comment

*** UPDATE 02/20/2009 ***

I had a couple of hours to work on it. Here's a taste of what I've been up to tonight. I decided to start with the worst fairing of all, which actually ended up looking pretty good underneath.

Decals, stripes, rough areas, road rash and cracks sanded down.

This area inside is to be reinforced (road rash on the front side) I'm using premium ABS cement and 0.030" black ABS sheeting.

These were cracks. Reinforced from behind and they'll be dug out with the dremel from the front and filled with cement.

I'll tackle this one tomorrow.

That's it for now!

Originally posted by Shifty View Post
                            What colors are you going back with?
                            The fairings and top panels will be GM torch red and the lower cowl will be GM silver. I'll have OE-looking silver Katana, Suzuki, 750, and the "S" decals which will be clearcoated over. I'm also going to add the Katriders.com stickers after everything is cured.
                            Last edited by Dexter; 07-10-2011, 08:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

sigpic

Comment

What grit sandpaper did you use?

Comment

Working...
                              X