Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My Kat 750's paint job... watch it happen!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright it's coming along. Where did ya score the ABS sheet?
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post

and uhaul wants the blankets back LMAO
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

It'll be interesting to see the finished product. It may give me some ideas if I ever choose to do the same.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
          What grit sandpaper did you use?
          I started by sanding the decals and uneven paint surfaces with a 60 grit pad on my orbital with light pressure. I also did the curved areas and hard to reach spots with 60 grit on my detail (mouse) sander, which worked great. Then I moved to a nice 180 and started smoothing everything out. I treated the whole panel to 180 because of all the orange peel from the previous paint job. After that, I got all the edges with a red scotch brite and made sure there was no clearcoat shine left on anything, even in the bolt holes. After that I gave it a once over with 320, and I'm ready for the repairs. After I'm done filling all the scrapes, cracks and low areas, the whole panel will be sanded with 400, shot with etching primer in all the bare areas and doused with a good layer of high build urethane grey primer from my spray gun.

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
          I got the ABS sheet from a place on Bleams Rd here in town (by my work) called WPS. They gave it to me for free because it was left over from an order that never got picked up. They have a whole skid of those sheets there!

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
          and uhaul wants the blankets back
          They're not going to get them! I worked there once upon a time, and I have plenty more. They come in handy.
          My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

*** 02/21/2009 ***

I worked for a couple more hours today. I fixed that bad crack... it actually turned out a lot better and stronger than I thought it would. I had to really dig this one out and fill it with some good epoxy.

Epoxy all sanded down and edges made round again.

The pictures don't do it justice... If you had seen it in person before, you'd want to give me a pat on the back for this one.

Have to make that bubble round again!

Until next time... happy sanding!
            Last edited by Dexter; 07-10-2011, 08:51 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Very nice work man.

Can't wait to see the finished pics...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Very nice work man.

Can't wait to see the finished pics...

Krey
                Me too.

sigpic

Comment

Lookin' good!!

Gives me motivation to start repairing the multiple spare fairings and tanks I've acquired so I can get on with my paint job.

Comment

On that mirror mount crack, you might want to put some rubber washers behind it and be very careful of the torque. That is a common stress point.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post

The pictures don't do it justice... If you had seen it in person before, you'd want to give me a pat on the back for this one.
                      Consider this my pat on the back. I know that's a lot of work you're up against there. So far so good, keep it up! The end product will be so worth it.
                      Originally posted by katanawarrior
                      I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                        On that mirror mount crack, you might want to put some rubber washers behind it and be very careful of the torque. That is a common stress point.
                        Thanks Kevin. I'll keep that in mind when I reassemble.

sigpic

Comment

great work! Good to see i'm not the only one sanding my a$$ off.
                          Suzuki GSX600F 92'

Comment

looks great! good work!

Comment

Hey. I painted my 1994 600 a Black, red and siliver scheme. I'll have to take pics and post them. Do you guys have any tips on what we could use to protect the paint (esp on the gas tank) from GAS SPILLING. As it stands now gas eats threw paint pretty quickly. But it doesnt do so on cars and their paint jobs. So im wondering what kind of clear coat or treatment I could do to mimic that. Even if just a little.
                              I like'em naked!!

Comment

Any two part automotive clearcoat should do the trick. That's what I'll be using. Mine will be sprayed from a gun. I know I've seen automotive clearcoats in aerosol cans mentioned on this forum before, but from what I understand, they're pretty pricey.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X