X

Drilling triple trees?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling triple trees?

Dont know if this is the right place, but anyways, I have a '93 600 with the clip on style bars. I want to lower them by flipping them under the trees but they hit the gas tank. Was wondering if it would hurt the triple tree if i drilled new holes in it so the bars came out straighter? Less like this /-\ and more like this --_--

Shouldn't cause a problem assuming you are talking about the small 6 or 8 mm screw that holds the handlebar clamp from rotating on the fork tube.

Comment

Man, I have some bad news for you. Triple trees are MANUFACTURED, they don't come out of the ground. You can drill for water, you can drill for oil, you can drill for natural gas, you can drill your troops, you can drill cavities, you can even drill the lesson into your student's head, but you can not drill for triple trees.
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

will make for a very uncomfortable riding position.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Hmmm.... I wonder why my bars don't hit my tank? I have a 98+ tank, but I don't see it making that big of a difference.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
            Hmmm.... I wonder why my bars don't hit my tank? I have a 98+ tank, but I don't see it making that big of a difference.
            98+ curve in towards the front, pre's curve out towards the front. Pretty major difference when your talking clearance there.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              98+ curve in towards the front, pre's curve out towards the front. Pretty major difference when your talking clearance there.

Krey
              I used to have a pre98 tank, and still never had this issue......

And it obviously doesn't get anywhere near the current tank....

Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

thanks for the replies, yeah im just drilling the small hole that keeps the bars from spinning.

loudnlow: yeah for some reason i flipped mine just like yours, and the ends of the bars would hit about 2.5 inches up from where the tank got the widest at full lock. You have any more pics of your bike? looks like the same style im goin for, street fighter/ naked look. Also what'd you do with ur ignition switch?

Comment

Hmm also never had a single problem with the bars hitting the tank on my pre... could your steerings stops be screwed up? I have enough room to keep both hands on the bars at full lock...
                  Out there we are all brothers.

96 Kat 600 "bobtastic"

Comment

Originally posted by adlboo View Post
                    thanks for the replies, yeah im just drilling the small hole that keeps the bars from spinning.

loudnlow: yeah for some reason i flipped mine just like yours, and the ends of the bars would hit about 2.5 inches up from where the tank got the widest at full lock. You have any more pics of your bike? looks like the same style im goin for, street fighter/ naked look. Also what'd you do with ur ignition switch?
                    Check your steering stops out to make sure that they are functional.... It sure doesn't seem like the bars should be able to go over that far. If they are there, and you can deal with it, you could modify the steering stops instead of the triple. I'm afraid it wouldn't be too comfortable with the bars out straight.

The best picture I have of my bike is in my garage. My ignition switch I replaced with an RCA jack, and I use a shorted RCA plug as a key. It's wired to click over relays that turn the ignition on. It's a terrible setup, though, and not weather-proof at all. I recommend finding another way.

Comment

Huh that thing's neat lookin.
                      Originally posted by katanawarrior
                      I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

just bought my first kat. and the guy that had it before flipped them so mine also hits the tank, not really sure what I'm going to do about it yet, since I'm not sure which way I'm going with the bike. Might just put some straight bars on it and go streetfighter, but not sure yet.
                        1978 Suzuki GS750
                        1995 Suzuki Katana 600
                        2007 Kawaski ZX6R

www.bikesoftheworld.com

Comment

Just a possibility... are we sure the bars are straight and not tweaked from being dropped. If dropped even very slowly moving forward, it can bend the bars back a little towards the tank. This can be difficult to see with everything on them, but this could also cause a clearance issue.

Just a thought...

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Kinda dissapointing to make a joke and nobody laughs... (sigh)
                            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by adlboo View Post
                              Dont know if this is the right place, but anyways, I have a '93 600 with the clip on style bars. I want to lower them by flipping them under the trees but they hit the gas tank. Was wondering if it would hurt the triple tree if i drilled new holes in it so the bars came out straighter? Less like this /-\ and more like this --_--
                              You could just buy some that clamp to the tubes.

Comment

Working...
                              X