Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

ATTENTION PAINTERS!!!...Feedback please..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTENTION PAINTERS!!!...Feedback please..

Okay..so for those who don't know..I pretty much tore my 91 Kat 600 down and put it back together (+ a post 98 750 swap). I was ready to paint it myself....but at that time of the year, I just couldn't spare the time.

So I paid a local guy to do it. And I wasn't happy with it....not to mention not too long after that I had a "conversation" with a guardrail. Ended up replacing the LH fairing and rattle canning / clearing it myself just so I can ride.

So I'm picking up a complete spare set of fairings and tank shortly....and I'm going to bite the bullet and paint it myself. I've realized I'm not going to be happy until I do it myself.

I'm ordering this gun

It's air demand is better suited to my compressor, and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

So I need a regulator to install at the gun...how about this one?

I also need a filter / drier for my compressor.

I was going to use the disposable "ball filters" that attach right before the gun....Those should be okay since I'm not spraying a ton all the time...right?

I'm guessing I'll need a cleaning kit for the gun too right?

The big question I have is regarding putting together a "portable spray booth" in my attached garage. Venting is important so close to the house...and since I'll be doing one piece at a time (time constraints) I don't need a ton of room.

Was thinking of putting together a "booth" out of plastic with wood or pvc frame....using a sealed box fan with a filter to push air in, and using my outside door with filters as exhaust.

I drew up some rough plans..

comments?

I'll be using a good 3M respirator. Like I said, one piece or so at a time, so I won't be spraying alot at one time.

Your feedback / experiences would be greatly appreciated here.

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
    Okay..so for those who don't know..I pretty much tore my 91 Kat 600 down and put it back together (+ a post 98 750 swap). I was ready to paint it myself....but at that time of the year, I just couldn't spare the time.

So I paid a local guy to do it. And I wasn't happy with it....not to mention not too long after that I had a "conversation" with a guardrail. Ended up replacing the LH fairing and rattle canning / clearing it myself just so I can ride.

So I'm picking up a complete spare set of fairings and tank shortly....and I'm going to bite the bullet and paint it myself. I've realized I'm not going to be happy until I do it myself.

I'm ordering this gun

It's air demand is better suited to my compressor, and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

So I need a regulator to install at the gun...how about this one?

That is the exact regulator I have attached to my Sharpe Cobalt gun, works great.
    I also need a filter / drier for my compressor.

I was going to use the disposable "ball filters" that attach right before the gun....Those should be okay since I'm not spraying a ton all the time...right?
    I use one of these all the time.
    I'm guessing I'll need a cleaning kit for the gun too right?
    A good investment, some guns come with a couple brushes.
    The big question I have is regarding putting together a "portable spray booth" in my attached garage. Venting is important so close to the house...and since I'll be doing one piece at a time (time constraints) I don't need a ton of room.

Was thinking of putting together a "booth" out of plastic with wood or pvc frame....using a sealed box fan with a filter to push air in, and using my outside door with filters as exhaust.

I drew up some rough plans..
    Your spray booth is similar to what I set up when I spray at home. One major difference though. Put the fan at the door, to draw the air/overspray out of the room. You don't want to have air blowing across the room, stirring up any contaminants that may be around and getting them into your paint. Put a filter where you have the fan now, and replace one of the door filters with the fan, but put a filter on the fan too, less turbulence that way.
    comments?

I'll be using a good 3M respirator. Like I said, one piece or so at a time, so I won't be spraying alot at one time.

Your feedback / experiences would be greatly appreciated here.
    good luck

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

If you have one... a cheap/old tent makes a good interim paint booth.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention above. Get as much light in to it as you can. Nothing worse than painting in low light conditions to find you didn't get the coverage you thought when you finally get to see it in good light.

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
          One thing I forgot to mention above. Get as much light in to it as you can. Nothing worse than painting in low light conditions to find you didn't get the coverage you thought when you finally get to see it in good light.
          That reminds me..

I plan on having my electric radiator (oil filled) style heater in the booth with me if the temp is colder...

As for light.,..what about those flourescent lights that you plug into an extension cord? Can I hang one of those in there?

Comment

The warmer the better, just don't use any fuel-burning heaters. The type of light you are describing would work, but I usually use halogen spotlights in mine. You know, the ones that are often come with a stand, painted yellow, square head, hotter than all hell...

Comment

Working...
            X