X

stripped threads...need help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripped threads...need help!

I replaced my clutch gasket a few weeks ago and decided to have the side fairing repainted from a spill I took during a driving test. I got it back yesterday and popped it right on. Problem is the last fairing screw I put in was sort of stripped and I unsuccesfully tried to use it, so now it is jammed in. The bushing was missing so I found new part #s 09139-06126 and 09320-09016 on a site but was wondering if anyone here sold these parts?

I am having some trouble getting the old fairing screw out. I already notched out line with a dremmel but am unsuccessful removing with a flathead. Any suggestions?

Take the panel off, and see if you can remove it from the back side.

If you aren't too messy in removing it, you should be able to chase the threads with a tap to clean them up.

Check with The CyberPoet or arsenic about the parts you need.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The threads are stripped or the allen in the head? If the bolt threads are ok just get a left handed drill bit and chances are it will come out while drilling it. if the threads are messed up drill the head off with increasingly larger drill bits. Then pop the lower off and then use a vise grip to remove the remaining portion. If the threads in the actual bracket for the bike are bad remove the bolt as in the previous method and try tapping it out, If that doesn't work get a nutsert and put that in there and you should be good to go.

Tmod
      Last edited by Tmod; 01-29-2009, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Threads looked bad but I tried to use it anyway and it got jammed in place... Then I stripped the head trying to remove it.

Do you know what size tap I would use? Is a special tool needed to set the nutsert?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Comment

It's probably either an M5 or an M6. I don't have a 98+, so I couldn't tell you... but that's the size of most of the fairing hardware.

Seriously though, before you go out and buy anything, remove the panel and inspect it from the back side. You might be able to twist it out.
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Drill it out, use the tang of a file, bang it in with a hammer and use a set of vice grips to twist. That's how my grandpa showed me to go about it anyway.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I will disagree with Scotty on that one as if the bolt is in there tight and you do that and then the file tang breaks off in the hole your are screwed as the file is very brittle and you will NOT be able to drill it out.

Tmod

Comment

Shoot it

Could try a "Grabit" or similar extractor set, could be picked up at sears or lowes for ~20$ and it should work well.
                Currently Riding:
                1995 Katana 600
                V&H Exhaust
                Jet Kit

SOLD
                2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                1987 XV700 Bobber
                REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                  I will disagree with Scotty on that one as if the bolt is in there tight and you do that and then the file tang breaks off in the hole your are screwed as the file is very brittle and you will NOT be able to drill it out.

Tmod
                  Really? I had no problems at all...it turned to mush and filled the stripped allen nicely

But then again, I see what you're saying. If it does break things could get hairy...
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

KatWarrior- my father in law brought over a grabit and it was out in less than 5 seconds! I also got the parts on the wat for $5! Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

Use a sharp punch and a hammer. You just make an inpression with the punch, towards the outside of the fastener and use a hammer to rotate it out, tapping it in a counter clockwise direction. Use the punch, locked into the impression you made, in combination with the hammer. I hope I have described this well enough........
                      Forgiveness is what defines us. For without forgiveness, humans would have annihilated themselves with endless retributions.

2004 600 Kat

Billet Aluminum frame clamps and custom delrin sliders for 98+ Kats
                      http://www.burley1.ca

Comment

Originally posted by ontariokatana View Post
                        Use a sharp punch and a hammer. You just make an inpression with the punch, towards the outside of the fastener and use a hammer to rotate it out, tapping it in a counter clockwise direction. Use the punch, locked into the impression you made, in combination with the hammer. I hope I have described this well enough........
                        A little off topic but I got some frame sliders from a member on here but was told they are worthless without lower sliders. When I got them lower sliders were not mentions so I assumed they werent needed for this bike. Do any other katana riders have lower sliders as well as the upper sliders?

Comment

I just received the replacement screw Part# 09139-06126 but it does not go more than half way into the frame's threads. Does anyone know what size threads they are so I can rethread the hole?

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                            It's probably either an M5 or an M6. I don't have a 98+, so I couldn't tell you... but that's the size of most of the fairing hardware.
                            ^^^^
                            Sears sells a small tap set that should have those sizes.
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Thanks SteveS - I was at home depot and they just had metric sizes. I will give sears a try this weekend!

Comment

Working...
                              X