X

Considering repaint...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering repaint...

Hey all, considering a repaint of the plastics on the Kat this spring. Current all Duplicolor paint job is black metallic with acrylic clear over it.
    Should I strip (sand) the clear off or just scuff and repaint?
    The plastics themselves are fine and not scuffed at all, just want to change the color.

Ill also be doing the wheels from the nasty purple that came stock to something else. Ill do a write up on that one when the time comes.
    1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

hmmm if it were me id strip the acrylic off...might not be necessary but i would take my time and do everything from scratch

Comment

as long as you dont have a gloss like surface and you sand past it a little your fine, especially if you plan to prime it, i didnt even prime mine and it came out perfectly fine, its not flawless, maybe a spec or two but for what i put in it its great.

Fife

Comment

Good stuff, thanks guys.
        I dont really care if its flawless, i just dont want it to start peeling after a few months. Ill prob leave the tank black and do the plastics something else. I spent a lot of time on the tank last year and it came out great.
        1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

Yeah it's no big deal. Use some 320-400 grit (I prefer wet), and scuff it all up really well. From there, apply topcoats. You're golden.
          Originally posted by katanawarrior
          I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

If your not going to sand off all prior pant I highly recomend a sealer then primer over the old. This will make sure you don't have to worry about anthing interacting with each other.

I have had paint interact, and it looked just like you poured paint remover on the new paint job. Sealer and then a primer will keep that from happening.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Agreed sealer is cheap insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Shifty View Post
                Agreed sealer is cheap insurance.
                Reaction between two differnt paints can make a 1 day painting project go to a 1 week painting project. save yourself the labor and buy some primer sealer at the least.
                Currently Riding:
                1995 Katana 600
                V&H Exhaust
                Jet Kit

SOLD
                2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                1987 XV700 Bobber
                REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Ahhh, good advice on the sealer. I prob would have overlooked that...
                  Thanks all, just waiting for the temp to go up a little. It was 2 degrees here this am. Few more weeks!

Comment

keep us posted!

Comment

Working...
                    X