Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Crashed my bike, have damage questions (frame)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashed my bike, have damage questions (frame)

Well... I screwed up. I was riding in the rain, didn't notice the stop sign (low hanging branch) and plowed right into the back of a car at like a 15 degree angle and at about 25mph (sliding, of course - if the road wasn't wet I would have totally stopped in time). My front end took the brunt of the damage. I am now trying to assess the damage and what I should do about it.

What is bothering me, is that it looks like my front wheel has been pushed backwards, towards the oil cooler - maybe an inch or two. The forks look completely straight. Thus I'm guessing i probably bent the frame around the steering mechanism...

I broke my front brake lever so I'm waiting on getting that to test it out. My buddy figures we should put on the new brake lever and then ride it and "see how it feels".

I'm wondering if there might be additional ways to assess frame and fork damage (measurements, angles, idk...). Furthermore, if it is the frame, is the bike pretty much toast?!

Thanks for the help!
    1989 Katana GSX750F
    1995 CB250 Nighthawk
    2004 YFZ-R6 (track bike)

Sorry about your bike!! Hope you are ok!! Duct tape and hammer is all I got... but I'm sure the others can help you more!!
    With a hip hop the hippie to the hippie
    The hip hip a hop a you don't stop the rockin
    To the bang bang boogie
    Say up jump the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie the beat

Comment

Assuming you ride a Kat, I think the user/shop manuals that you can download from this site have measurements on side views (wheel base, height, etc).

Glad you're ok. Good luck

attempt to paste it...
      Last edited by chrisx2; 01-07-2009, 03:49 PM.
      2004 GSX750F

Comment

if you have the service manual it should tell you the proper rake of the front fork, you should be able to get a measurement tool at the hardware store, of if you've got one of those cheap plastic protractors from middle school... hope you get 'er back in working condition!
        "Too weird to live, too rare to die"
        Where's Waldo?
        sigpic

Comment

sorry couldn't paste the image.
          2004 GSX750F

Comment

First thing ....... DONT RIDE IT AS IT IS !
            you need to get this bike professionally checked out, no if's or but's no way round it, get it checked out on a jig by someone who knows what they are doing !

The forks may look straight but if the wheel has moved 2" they wont be & they will probably have moved side ways out of alignment with the rear wheel, internal damage is also a possibility, from you comment that the "forks look straight" i'd guess that the headstock has moved as well ( backwards & too the side)

Forks need stripping & assessing frame needs to go on a motorliner type jig to check alignment or to be checked with professional alignment tool

Forks can be replaced & frame can be straightened if needs be but it may be cheaper to buy a relpacement frame

All this is presuming your original assessment of the damage is correct, hope it helps
            tone

Ps wheel needs properly checking out too
            Last edited by tone; 01-07-2009, 03:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Don't ride it now, big mistake.
              sigpic

Comment

Glad your here to talk about it, good luck with the rebuild(hopefully).
                sigpic
                1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

pictures of the bike would have been nice

Comment

Man I am really sorry you had the mishap and Im sorry but my mechanical ability went south, years ago. I definitely would take it in to get it checked out.

Comment

Originally posted by kidblooper View Post
                      pictures of the bike would have been nice
                      I'm in Arizona until friday, and I will post pics when I get home.
                      1989 Katana GSX750F
                      1995 CB250 Nighthawk
                      2004 YFZ-R6 (track bike)

Comment

Glad you're ok......good luck with the fix.
                        This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                        BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

The most important thing (you) is typing this post and i'm glad that is the case. Good luck with the less important thing.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rydethis View Post
                            Sorry about your bike!! Hope you are ok!! Duct tape and hammer is all I got... but I'm sure the others can help you more!!
                            Hammer and duct tape. the classic cure for everything
                            Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                            Current Bikes:
                            1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

when you get the frame check and if it is bent them you should be able to find a straight frame on ebay or at a salvage yard.

Comment

Working...
                              X