Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Painting my bike Before (eventually after)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting my bike Before (eventually after)

updated bike was painted, hasnt been buffed, but has been dropped already, fell off the damn jack.

Fife

I took it apart today and started having at it with sand paper, the paint is Pacific Metallic Blue, there were a few spots that the previous owner had plastic filled that needed some TLC from a drop im sure possibly a wreck. i started with a 120 grit on some of the nastier spots but not pressing too hard to avoid groves and worked my way to 220->320->420 for now and ill go up to probably 1200 after its primed. Its not a show bike so if there is a blemish here or there, its whatever but ill do my best as an amateur.

I hope to spray it thursday or friday, ill update the pics as i get them.

Fife
    Last edited by Idrivetoys; 01-02-2009, 10:51 AM. Reason: topic changed

Paint aside, that bike is way too clean.

It needs to ridden in a swamp.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

nice, cant wait to see pictures!

Hoping to respray mine soon, I'm sure Ill pick up a few pointers from this too.

Comment

are you spraying the entire thing with primer first? I ask because you have broken through to bare plastic in several spots, and you may have adhesion and coverage problems in those areas.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

i'm really curious to see this one finished.. looks like your doing a great job so far.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
            Paint aside, that bike is way too clean.

It needs to ridden in a swamp.

lol i'll second that =p
            the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
            # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
            [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

I like blue..
              sigpic
              1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

yes the bike will be primer filled and sanded down with even higher grit before paint, i had to sand down that deep to get some of the scuffs off from a drop im assuming. I have one crack around a turn signal that i will also fix tomorrow, i was voluntold on a 24 hour duty this morning so im stuck on base til tomorrow 7 am, then ill head home and finish it up, the prep work, minus priming assuming that goes well is almost done, but my hands felt all wierd this morning in the shower, like greasy or bleach on them, this afternoon i realised its from sanding my hands baby smooth!

Fife

Comment

Originally posted by Idrivetoys View Post
                  yes the bike will be primer filled and sanded down with even higher grit before paint, i had to sand down that deep to get some of the scuffs off from a drop im assuming. I have one crack around a turn signal that i will also fix tomorrow, i was voluntold on a 24 hour duty this morning so im stuck on base til tomorrow 7 am, then ill head home and finish it up, the prep work, minus priming assuming that goes well is almost done, but my hands felt all wierd this morning in the shower, like greasy or bleach on them, this afternoon i realised its from sanding my hands baby smooth!

Fife
                  what grit are you using to sand before primer? What grit will you sand before paint?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I have the grits so far up top

120-220-320-420 before primer filler, this will show me any spots i need to work some more on, then ill sand as high up as 1200 if needs be, ill update as i do it.

Fife

Comment

Careful you dont sand too high up before paint. still need some adhesion for the paint. In my opinion 1200 is pretty fine. how coarse is the metallic in the blue?
                      Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
                      www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't go any higher than 600 on the primer before applying the paint. Pre-primer I wouldn't go much higher than your 320 either, especially since you went to the raw plastic in a few areas. Just my $.02, carry on!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I am not a "painter" ill be taking the plastics to my good buddy who will be learnin me up on a few things, he just asked that i have it prepped pre primer to 400 ish and when i get over there we will do the prime and sand before paint, so ill get back to you guys with what we do. thanks for the advice, always appreciated

Fife

Comment

Originally posted by Idrivetoys View Post
                            I am not a "painter" ill be taking the plastics to my good buddy who will be learnin me up on a few things, he just asked that i have it prepped pre primer to 400 ish and when i get over there we will do the prime and sand before paint, so ill get back to you guys with what we do. thanks for the advice, always appreciated

Fife

Is your friend a painter? There is plenty of good advice in the paint section of KR http://katriders.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=167

if you haven't already, it's a good idea to read some of the threads.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

yeah he paints alot

he doesnt have a kat but ill get some pics of his bike and his roomates that he painted

Fife

Comment

Working...
                              X