X

windscreen scratches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windscreen scratches

The windscreen that came with my kat is very scratched up. It aslo looks like there were stickers on there at one time. I have read alot about wet sandign it with various grits of wet/dry sand paper. Is this my only option other than getting a new one? I would rather not spend over 40$ on one if I can clean this one up nicely.

wetsand with 2000-3000 grit paper and use a buffing wheel and some compound to bring it back to life.

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
    and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Yep
      wetsand it and polish it
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I have a 98+ OEM screen that is mint. Make me an offer I can't refuse.
        R.I.P. Marc

Comment

polish

mothers brand plastic polish does wonders

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, beer in one hand, cigarette in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WHO HOO what a ride"

Comment

how well will jsut polishing it work?

Comment

mine was pretty scratched too, i polished it up with some meguires plastx and now it looks great, took about 30 minutes by hand, i have a porter cable but i found the windshield to be too curvy to use it without getting hotspots. if you have deeper scratches then wetsanding with 2000 grit then following with polish will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerzr2 View Post
                mothers brand plastic polish does wonders
                i got me some of that there polish... and it comes out all hazey... no matter how much buffin' i seem to do... =(
                the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Originally posted by kat_kitten View Post
                  i got me some of that there polish... and it comes out all hazey... no matter how much buffin' i seem to do... =(
                  what are you using to apply the polish?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
                    what are you using to apply the polish?
                    apparently the wrong thing.... lol

fleece rag
                    the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                    # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                    [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Originally posted by kat_kitten View Post
                      apparently the wrong thing.... lol

fleece rag
                      I've never used the stuff so I can't comment, but you may want to try it with a buffing wheel or powerball.

this is from their website:

lear and transparent-colored plastics can readily benefit from treatment with a plastic polish. MothersŪ Plastic Polish has proven itself effective on signal lenses, head and taillights, clear emblems, plastic convertible top windows and center caps. The MothersŪ product has the added benefit of leaving behind a fine layer of polymers that protect your plastics from future environmental torment. Plastic with stains and yellowing will also look better after being treated with a plastic polish. If the discoloring is extensive try MothersŪ Mag & Aluminum Polish which is slightly more aggressive than plastic polishes. If you do use an aluminum polish on your plastics then chase it with plastic polish. This method is well worth the extra time and effort.
                      Of course saving time is also key. Using MothersŪ Plastic Polish with the amazing PowerBallŪ will get the same job done in just minutes with amazing results. Or, for a more aggressive approach to weather beaten plastics, use MothersŪ PowerMetalŪ with the PowerBallŪ and then follow with a quick coating of Plastic Polish. Your plastic will look like new in no time at all.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
                      X