X

Wet Sanding ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kahunah View Post
    Depends on the paint. Metallic bases cannot be wet sanded. (That is to say, the last coat before the clear.) The only paint I have ever wet sanded between coats was back in the days of lacquer. I have used PPG DBC for nearly 20 years. DT330 and 2000 grit is what I use to sand severe imperfections in the base coat. 600 & 800 grit on the hook-it DA between base coats (except the last) will make the final coat flat and smooth. You can use the hook-it system to sand the clear and then apply 2 more coats (called flow coating) then 600, 800 hook-it, 1500 wet, 2000 wet, coarse cut compound with a wool pad, microfine with a foam pad and finally hand glaze. ALOT of work, but a mirror in the ed.
    Bingo..

Comment

BTW the point of wet sanding is to help keep the sand paper clear of build up. That is why using a bucket of water to dip and shake out the paper is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn View Post
        BTW the point of wet sanding is to help keep the sand paper clear of build up. That is why using a bucket of water to dip and shake out the paper is the way to go.
        add a good sponge to the mix to help keep the area wet and clean up the residue

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I also read somewhere that a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid in the water bucket will help keep the paper from getting gummed up.
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
            I also read somewhere that a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid in the water bucket will help keep the paper from getting gummed up.
            True, it helps to keep the paper from loading up, and provide a bit of lubrication

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
              True, it helps to keep the paper from loading up, and provide a bit of lubrication
              When wet sanding base colour between coats you need to be very cautious when using dish soap. It can leave a residue that causes fish eyes or other chemical reactions when you go to spray your next coat . Make sure it is rinsed thoroughly.

Also, thought it a good idea to mention that a spray bottle is a better solution than a bucket of water. If you use a bucket make sure you change the water frequently. Dirt/residue will rinse off into the bucket and contaminate your clean sandpaper. Don't be cheap. Change your sandpaper frequently as well.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

-Change water frequently
                -Change sandpaper frequently (use the same grit)
                -Spray bottles and buckets work well following the above instructions

Another few tips that I didn't see:

- Keep a supply of clean, dry rags around to wipe down your workpiece to see your progress. This helps keep from over-sanding the piece.

-Keep some clean water separate from the water you use to wet sand, you can rinse the piece to see your progress, and also use it for the final rinse.

-And finally, if you have to do all your fairings, wait till a warm day, strip the fairings off the bike, hop in your friend's or ex gf's pool and have at it, should go by quick!
                Last edited by katanawarrior; 12-09-2008, 01:44 PM.
                Currently Riding:
                1995 Katana 600
                V&H Exhaust
                Jet Kit

SOLD
                2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                1987 XV700 Bobber
                REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

I'm not a real Doctor.......but........I do play one in the back of an Ambulance

(<<< my BEST half!!)

Comment

Never forget to lubricate...
                    sigpic

Comment

Also buff a day or 2 max after spraying your clear. otherwise it hardens to much and its a bugger to buff out. all me custom paint jobs i do I spray 4-5 coats of a high solids clear coat the next day i DA sand any orange peel out then wetsand with 2000 girt 3M wet or dry paper then buff then glaze and it is amazeingly beautiful. Show quality results. i use a 5 gallon pail with hot water and a splash of Dawn dish soap in the water, that helps produce a much better finished product. If your painted part is a week old skuff it down and re clear it and it will buff much easier. Would you rather ride a bicycle down a hill rather than up? same concept
                      sigpic
                      Visit my Temporary web page at www.myspace.com/zacksbodyshop
                      "What's Your Dream?"

Comment

Working...
                      X