X

Wet Sanding ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Sanding ?

What exactly is wet sanding ? I have just finished painting the bottom cowl (Using the excellent directions in Lou's how to paint post, thanks !), and I keep reading about following up with wet sanding. I thought it was just a trade phrase for using a polishing compound, but after reading bits and pieces I am thinking it is using sand paper while wetting with a sprayer bottle. Am I even close ?? Thanks

Yep, either spray as you sand or dip the paper into the water and sand away.
    It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

I usually use a small bucket and soak the paper myself.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

OK thanks, I needed to make sure before I made a mess of things

Comment

Make sure you get paper designed for wet sanding. The standard paper will have a tendency to fall apart when wet.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

Again, Yep...Like steves stated, 5gal bucket of water and of course, a 12oz cold one right beside the said 5gal bucket!!!

Comment

Paint me cofused here..... I always wet sanded the primed job.....never the actual paint. Or...... is this because you're planning on using a clear-coat?
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I thought you did both - wet sand the final coat of paint,clean, then clear coat, then wet sand again ? This is my first attempt at this so let me know if I am wrong - Thanks !

Comment

Wet sand ALL coats EXCEPT for the final coat, whether it's color or clear. BUT you can also wet-sand the final coat and polish / buff it if desired.

Purpose of wet-sanding is mainly to reduce any imperfections (orange peel) in the applied coat, thereby "smoothing" it.

Have you ever re-finished (sand / stain / varnish) any wood products? Same principal.
                  Last edited by DayKat; 12-06-2008, 09:15 PM.

Comment

on the final coat to get rid of small imperfections
                    sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                    k9 GSX-R 600
                    GO VOLS!

Comment

Well, I didn't nor do I know anyone that wet sands between coats unless they are fixing something or missed the recoat window for some reason. Seems like a lot of extra unnecessary work to me. I wet sanded only my final clear and polished it up. Did you read Mojoe's post http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68107
                      2000 Katana 600
                      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

No, I haven't read Mojoe's post. Don't plan on doing so either. He may well have a technique I haven't tried but, I know what has worked for me over the past 35 years. Mind you though, I'm not discounting any instruction Mojoe has provided.

For some "un-necessary" is necessary.

BTW...O.C.D. came BEFORE A.D.D., I.M.H.O.!!!!!!!!
                        Last edited by DayKat; 12-07-2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

lol.. sounds scarey to me.. i'd make sure to get somthing really fine..

Comment

Depends on the paint. Metallic bases cannot be wet sanded. (That is to say, the last coat before the clear.) The only paint I have ever wet sanded between coats was back in the days of lacquer. I have used PPG DBC for nearly 20 years. DT330 and 2000 grit is what I use to sand severe imperfections in the base coat. 600 & 800 grit on the hook-it DA between base coats (except the last) will make the final coat flat and smooth. You can use the hook-it system to sand the clear and then apply 2 more coats (called flow coating) then 600, 800 hook-it, 1500 wet, 2000 wet, coarse cut compound with a wool pad, microfine with a foam pad and finally hand glaze. ALOT of work, but a mirror in the ed.
                            I'm not a real Doctor.......but........I do play one in the back of an Ambulance

(<<< my BEST half!!)

Comment

Did I mention that in these present days, I suffer more from A.D.D. than O.C.D.?????
                              Just wondering...

Comment

Working...
                              X