X

04 tail on 98???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 tail on 98???

well, i pulled up the frame pics and the mounting pics for my 98 and the 2004 to make sure they match. the bolt holes seem to match up and the frames are the same. does anyone have any info on why this swap would not work? i hate the 98 style taillight, so i bought the newer tail. thanx for any info
    thanx, chris

I would be interested to see if this works. I have just heard that the bolt holes don't match up. Let us know if this works and what if any mod you have to do to make it work.
    -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

YUP, PLZ KEEP UP POSTED
      (((((((RIDE HARD OR GO HOME)))))))

Comment

well, i'll have it tuesday and will take pics of my install attempt on thursday. based on pics and suzuki microfische, the frames and bolt holes are the same. i doubt they would make a new seat frame for those years and list it with the same part #.
        thanx, chris

Comment

Someone on the board here did the mod, and from what he said they do not line up the same. You will have to make new mounting points. How much the mounting points are off I do not know.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

well, i'll take pics and see. i don't have the rear shovel or anything that would interfere with it. everything looks the same. i know the frame has the same part # for all years 98 and up
            thanx, chris

Comment

My 2000 Kat had the 03-04 tail on it when I bought it. I do not know what they had to do to get it on there, But I havent seen where they changed anythin other than the plastics. here are some pics I took for another thread. Hope this might help.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

what about fitting the stuff on a pre-98 bike? would you need a seat/tailight/side panels?

edit- i have no side bodywork so matching it to the other panels is not a problem

Comment

you would need the taillight and a cheap bracket. the bracket is $6 through flatoutcycles. the side fairings are the same fro 98+ years. the seat appears to be the same as well. i don't have any of the metal rails under the rear. everything should match right up.
                  thanx, chris

Comment

I walked outside of the shop the other day with the 04 taill light (with bracket) and held it up to the rear end of my '01. From what I saw, my conclusions were that you would at least need the rear fairings from the '03 - '05 models as well as the tail light assembly, because the new light assembly is broader and shorter than the OEM bumblebee tail light.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah, the rear fairings and the taillight are different. to do the swap, you need the taillight, the bracket it mounts to, and both rear side fairings that go under the seat. i have the rear fairings on the way, the bracket is $6, and the stock taillight is only $10 on ebay from busa owners that have swapped to a clear or smoked taillight. i only paid $50 for the rear fairings. i hate the taillight for the 98 model year. the pointed look looks dumb.
                      thanx, chris

Comment

You people and wanting to get rid of the boob shaped tail light on the kat! I tell ya!!!

Comment

When I bought mine, the 03's were out. I bought the 02' just because of that tail!!!!

Keep the Boobie!

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                            You people and wanting to get rid of the boob shaped tail light on the kat! I tell ya!!!
                            I'm with this... the shape of the 98 tail-light is the most perfect shaped part on the bike to give it the affectionate grope!

...otherwise you're stuck with a pat on the seat or tank... but the tail light, you get that nice round full-on kind of grope!

Comment

i never saw it as a boob, but it definitely needs a grope.
                              thanx, chris

Comment

Working...
                              X