Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

If I strip my wheels do I need to paint them?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I strip my wheels do I need to paint them?

My bike has purple wheels as you may have seen from my other thread. Was considering painting them and someone here mentioned that I could strip them. I assumed they meant strip them in lieu of panting.

If I strip them with airplane stripper do I need to cover them with some type of paint or clear coat or something?

You do not have to clear them, or paint them. I stripped my wheels and polished the lips. The only thing I have to do is to re-polish them every once in a while (simple to do using mothers mag & aluminum polish.
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Semper Fi
      1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch View Post
        You do not have to clear them, or paint them. I stripped my wheels and polished the lips. The only thing I have to do is to re-polish them every once in a while (simple to do using mothers mag & aluminum polish.

Thank you. So you have to polish them or is that just preferred because of the look?

Thank you looking at this now.
        Last edited by srj; 10-21-2008, 03:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by srj View Post
          Thank you. So you have to polish them or is that just preferred because of the look?

Thank you looking at this now.
          No problem. good luck, I'm hoping to have time to do this myself this winter. Not that I don't love my purple wheels and all, but.....
          Semper Fi
          1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

Originally posted by jimwag81 View Post
            Not that I don't love my purple wheels and all, but.....
            I always wanted the purple wheels fracking awesome

But yeah, just get a can of aircraft stripper and then some meguiars polish or Never Dull. The PO of my bike stripped them and I had to clean them up last week, works like a charm
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

So I can polish them up with Never Dull. Good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by srj View Post
                So I can polish them up with Never Dull. Good to know.
                As long as they're stripped, yup.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Did yall take the rims off to strip?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by acraze View Post
                    Did yall take the rims off to strip?
                    nope, did my polished lips on the bike. if you are stripping the whole wheel i would remove them though.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

yes, I removed mine from the bike..as I did my entire rim, not just the lips
                      It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

guess i may give this a whirl
                        Currently Riding:
                        1995 Katana 600
                        V&H Exhaust
                        Jet Kit

SOLD
                        2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                        1987 XV700 Bobber
                        REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

I'm going to take mine off but I want to leave the tires on. Seems like it is possible to do it this way. What do you folks think?

Comment

Working...
                          X