X

Fun with Paintcans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with Paintcans

Hey all, I've had some fun with paintcans the last few days and just wanted to share my experiences . . .

Everyone thinks paintcans suck . . . and they do. The paint inside them isn't an issue, it all has to do with the way they apply the paint.

So, I took a gamble. Alsa Corporation "killer cans". Advertised to have an awesome spray pattern just like a paint gun . . . No and no. The Pla-stick product they sell works well, but the two cans of jet black base paint I bought were a waste of 80 dollars. Poor spray application. Poor.

So, I went store shopping. Now, everyone says hardware and what not store spray paints suck. For the most part I agree. That being said, I went experimenting and found a few really good products overall. One being Rustoleum Specialty High Heat Black Semi-Gloss Coating. It's rated to 1200 F and coats well. I used it for my muffler and engine covers and the actual paint came out great, it was the imperfections in the surface caused by brake fluid which gave me headaches. VHT Flame Proof Black applied well on the headers, but not as smoothly as the Rusto Spec.

For the body, I eventually found a paint I was satisfied with, Rusto Auto Durability Application Gloss Black. In my area, it is only carried at Lowe's. It is $5 a can and so far significantly better than Killer Cans Jet Black Basecoat. In fact, there really isn't a comparison, which is kind of sad. It's also advertised to be super durable for automotive applications . . . which I doubt . . . although it is unusually thick for a super strong spray can application. It should be interesting, because I'm not going to use a clearcoat.

Paint cans which suck on anything but very small items (as a result of application, not necessarily the paint itself) :
    All Krylon (That being said, Krylon Fusion has worked very well for me in the past, especially in terms of durability, on small plastic items, such as interior panel pieces)
    All Rustol besides the two "specialty" brand versions of it I mentioned
    Killer Cans Jet Black
    All generic store brands which can be found in the South

All in all, I was just really disappointed in Killer Cans Jet Black application. Especially with the way they advertise it, charge for it, and recommend it as the base coat for almost all of their specialty paints.

A lot of very good spray can painters online recommend going to specialty paint stores and having them put great paint in spray cans. Prices for good spray cans usually range from 30 to 200 dollars. The last thing I want to do is spend money on a great paint and be forced into a poor applicating spray can (which is somewhat of a crap shoot depending on the store you go to). If I really want premium paint, I take it straight to a professional painter.
    Last edited by Dago; 10-20-2008, 09:10 PM.

I will go further and say, I like dupli-color brand rattle cans. a little pricey but good quality!
    2001 Suzuki Katana 600 (Stock with a pipe...For now!!!)

1990 Mustang Coupe-331 SBF with a Blowdryer on 10.5's (new at the small tire stuff...gets a little crazy)

Comment

The only real good rattlecans I have used have come from a company called SEM. Their color range isn't the biggest, but the product is the best as far as 'factory pack' rattlecans goes. I have had the local paint store here do some DuPont rattlecans for me....Awesome, but for the price I could usually just break out the gun and spray it the 'right' way.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
        The only real good rattlecans I have used have come from a company called SEM. Their color range isn't the biggest, but the product is the best as far as 'factory pack' rattlecans goes. I have had the local paint store here do some DuPont rattlecans for me....Awesome, but for the price I could usually just break out the gun and spray it the 'right' way.
        I have found the same!
        Originally posted by katanawarrior
        I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

nice little write-up always good to get products tested by someone with no bias unless you own stock in said companies
          so many roads so little time

Comment

used to have great luck with duplicors line.... just dont seem to sit well with plastc , used to use it all them time to do racing stripes, accents, practically everything... dunno what happenedDuplicolor
            Currently Riding:
            1995 Katana 600
            V&H Exhaust
            Jet Kit

SOLD
            2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
            1987 XV700 Bobber
            REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

SEM makes really good products. Has anyone used Bulldog adhesives for plastics?
              FROM WORK:
              "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

I LOVE krylon. Its worked great for me every time(multiple light coats, prime,paint then clear).

Comment

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post
                  used to have great luck with duplicors line.... just dont seem to sit well with plastc , used to use it all them time to do racing stripes, accents, practically everything... dunno what happenedDuplicolor

I would be willing to bet it has something to do with enviromentaly friendly products/ user safer
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
                    SEM makes really good products. Has anyone used Bulldog adhesives for plastics?
                    You don't really nee the Bulldog stuff unless you are working with bare, unprepped plastics...I have used it on new car bumper covers and facias...works great for those.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

sigpic
                      1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Working...
                      X