X

Front Fender question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Fender question

I got my new front fender in today and I am planning on changing it out either today or tomorrow. My dumb question is this will I have to remove the fairings to do this or can it be done without removing them. I am looking for the quickest way to do this. Below is a pic of my old Fender.....Yuck!!!

These are old pics
    Last edited by Woodmysta; 09-26-2008, 02:19 PM.
    Former Marine 3/97-3/01
    MOS 0161 Semper FI!
    sigpic

Hm, I'm note sure. I imagine you can take it off without removing all the fairings. That's the next project for me as well. My whole bike is blue and the front fender is black - time to change that.

Comment

Unless you can get your hand or a wrench up under the fender to hold the 4 nuts so you can pull the bolts out of the shock brace, you need to drop the front wheel off. Fairings can stay on.
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
        Unless you can get your hand or a wrench up under the fender to hold the 4 nuts so you can pull the bolts out of the shock brace, you need to drop the front wheel off. Fairings can stay on.
        That's what I noticed too. The hex bolts pass through the metal plate, the fender and exit the inside of the "wheel well" and ends with nuts.

Trying to get my hand in there to hold the nut was next to impossible with the tire still on.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Changed my front fender a while back, you don't have to remove the fairing and you don't have to remove the front wheel either.

Tok

Comment

So what's the secret ?
            2000 Katana 600
            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
              That's what I noticed too. The hex bolts pass through the metal plate, the fender and exit the inside of the "wheel well" and ends with nuts.

Trying to get my hand in there to hold the nut was next to impossible with the tire still on.
              I got it changed but it was a pain trying to do it with the wheel on. I plan on painting the plastics this winter black and I will remove the front fender and have it repainted because I scratched it while installing it . However, next time I will remove the wheel first.

Former Marine 3/97-3/01
              MOS 0161 Semper FI!
              sigpic

Comment

I took mine off without taking off the wheel.you just need a tool to hold the nuts on the bottom,them i just superglued them onto the fairing,tightned back with the tool i made-just a piece of barstock welded to a wrench i cut on.

Comment

even though this thread is three months old... whether or not you can pull the fender without pulling the wheel depends on the tire that's on the front, how much clearance you have, and whether or not you can squeeze your hand in.

In my experience... it's easier and faster to just pull the wheel.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    and whether or not you can squeeze your hand in.

In my experience... it's easier and faster to just pull the wheel.
                    yea, I couldn't do it with the wheel on. Like you said pull the wheel. If the center stand is still on the bike, just put a lot of weight on the back seat to get the front wheel off the ground.

It's easy to R&R the wheel, just don't squeeze the front brake lever.
                    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

the old ones color sucks but other wise it looks neat
                      voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
                      82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
                      83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

Working...
                      X