X

finished painting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finished painting

I finished paint my Kat about a week ago. everyone is telling me not to wash the bike that i should waint for the paint to dry. when i painted the bike i used Dupont paint, Full Thain, and a reduser but i didn't bake the paint afterwards. so how long should i wait because i really want to show off the color.

the paint has to have time to cure.. i know some paints can take 30 -90 days to cure... that is how long you should wait to wax.. i think a week or so for washing..
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

If you are gona wash it, make sure that you do not use a soap that has any wax in it.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

wait a month or so. i'd wait a month and a half. it's worth the wait, u dont want to mess up your hard work
        Hello World.

Comment

Originally posted by irenekat
          wait a month or so. i'd wait a month and a half. it's worth the wait, u dont want to mess up your hard work
          +1

FYI-> it helps to speed up the curing if you park it outside when the sun is up(afternoons would be best). i parked mine outside around 11am and take it back in sundown (6pm here in chicago)
          PAUL
          93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

also, you CANNOT post a topic about you just finished painting your bike without pictures! you just cant do that manggg

Hello World.

Comment

If you did not bake the paint then you should only spray it of with plain water forthe 1st 30 days
              and I would not wax it for 90 days. I would also like to see how the bike turned out.

Comment

I paint cars and bikes as a hobby. See pics of my Katana for a sample if you like. (WWW link) I always tell customers to wait a week before washing and 30 days for wax.

That being said, I have washed customer vehicles within 24 hours depending on ambient temps, but you can VERY easily scratch the paint doing it that soon. If you are planning on color sanding and final compounding, I usually wait 48 hours and color sand.
                Ron
                MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

You could also call a local shop that paints and pretend you're interested in getting your bike painted. Ask their professionals how long you should wait before washing and waxing your bike if you have it painted there.

Comment

You use clear coat? i think that makes a differrence but I am not sure

Comment

Working...
                    X