No announcement yet.
X

Mirage by Dupli-Color

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have inspired me to try it the only thing is I bought rust-oleum. The dude at home depot swore to me that its best for plastics

Comment

That is truly impressive rattle-can work!
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

this is what I do for plastics: (on banshees at least)

step one: lightly bead blast the plastic to rough it up slightly
        step two: spray a self-etching primer to ensure a good solid base
        step three: lightly sand the self etching primer to remove roughness
        step four: spray a decent primer/filler to smooth out imperfections in plastic
        then you just finish how you would normally for paint, but ive found that this procedure sticks to plastic very well, and if it does good on an atv in an off road environment, it would have to be very good on road just my .02

good luck and let us know how it turns out

Comment

Originally posted by Simpson View Post
          this is what I do for plastics: (on banshees at least)

step one: lightly bead blast the plastic to rough it up slightly
          step two: spray a self-etching primer to ensure a good solid base
          step three: lightly sand the self etching primer to remove roughness
          step four: spray a decent primer/filler to smooth out imperfections in plastic
          then you just finish how you would normally for paint, but ive found that this procedure sticks to plastic very well, and if it does good on an atv in an off road environment, it would have to be very good on road just my .02

good luck and let us know how it turns out
          My procedure was usually...

Step one: DA sand with 220 grit.
          Step two: Spray flat black
          The End
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Well guys,
            I finally started painting today. I'm currently am putting on the color/mid coat on my right fairing(have only done the first layer of it, but immediately liked what I saw). In a few more minutes here I'll start the second coat. Anyway, thanks for everybody's help and I'll make sure to post some pics up. I only ordered two kits to test the product out, so I won't be able to do too much this weekend but I'll post whatever I can get done
            Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Comment

Originally posted by Simpson View Post
              as a word of advice coming from a guy whos painted cars, darker colors dont hide imperfections, they magnify them. White is the color to hide bad bodywork, and black will make that bad bodywork show that much better.
              That's good to know. I've been thinking of a similar idea as well.

Comment

Here's some photos I took late last night before I put a clear coat on. Not the best of pics/lighting, but it gives you a rough idea. I tried to take a few photos showing the different colors depending on the light angle. In person, this paint is incredible with the color. I can't wait to finish the other pieces and put the bike back together!

Comment

Wow looking good. I just sprayed my tank today metallic charcoal the clear is very rough though(guess I gotta let it fully dry then sand). Keep us posted

Comment

Originally posted by On1wheel01 View Post
                    Wow looking good. I just sprayed my tank today metallic charcoal the clear is very rough though(guess I gotta let it fully dry then sand). Keep us posted
                    Hey dude I learnt that lesson when I painted my bike....If you look at the can carefully you will see that it says dont put clear on the silver/aluminum like colors...makes it dull, I was all happy first cause it was looking good,but I had to go back to red which now that its done is hotter
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yea I was worried about that as I have been there but it says uuse clear and it made world of a diff,after I wet sanded it whoa looks killer in the light. And I'll most lilely be selling the bike when she is complete n e ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Edocsil View Post
                        I love the flames with the mirage. makes me almost consider doing something of that sort. I'm worried doing a whole bike in Mirage may be too much color/activity on the bike. I might just have to try one piece in all mirage and then decide. where did you get your stencils from?(I don't really think I'm up for the work and precision right now, plus tight on money, but I might like to do something similar at a later date)
                        I drew them by hand onto paper, then cut out the flames layed them on the tank and used vinyl masking to follow the shapes/curves. It takes a long time and the overlapping/ intertwining part is very time consuming but the results are awesome. After I had to spray some of the black paint into the paint can cap and using a very fine brush..added the shading where the flames over lap for the 3D look.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

man uve got some skills with that...they look amazing, so how much did that bike run u to paint it all like that? does anyone know if there is a black and red kit out there like the mirage kit?
                          Last edited by Jerkeife; 09-17-2008, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Thank kweef.
                            I'm still in the process of finishing the paint (probably going to pull an all nighter to finish it tonight, minus the gas tank). So far it's cost a total of about 100 dollars(maybe a little less). I might have to order one more kit to do the gas tank, but either way it will be under 150 dollars. As for the the black and red, obviously Duplicolor/Mirage doesn't have that, but I'd say give it a look-up on the internet. let us know if you find anything. That would be a pretty neat paint job.
                            ----------
                            Edit: so I took the bike out of the shop finally today. It's still not done :'( but it's slowly getting there. I need to put more clear coat on my side fairings as I guess I didn't put enough(they were the first pieces I did so I wasn't sure how much to put on), still need to do the gas tank, the front fairing, the front wheel fender, and the little piece beneath the headlight. Either way, I love the way it is looking.
                            Last edited by Edocsil; 09-19-2008, 04:53 PM.

Comment

bump(finally got pics up above)

Comment

lookin good
                                just wet sand the clear coat with about a 1500 grit then polish it using mothers or Meguairs 3 step system
                                98 GSX750F
                                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                                X