X
X

How to Paint your Bike or Bike Parts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched a video with an arai rep who said that it could be done as long as you didn't sand really deep and not let chemicals on the inside as it could damage the styrofoam(don't know the technical name). I personally wouldn't paint a helmet but that video had some good insight/ mythbusters...
    95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
    ---
    I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

sorry, I kind of de-railed the thread.

Thanks for the write up on painting, I love it.
      My Bike/Project:
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114782

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to do this post.

I just wanted to ask, if removing vinyls from fairings, what would you recommend for sticking them back on? Also, I'm currently in the process of repainting bike after minor drop and I'm using a clear lacquer (from the company that I bought the paints from) but it doesn't have that same sheen that the original OE paint job does. Is there any reason for this or do they use something different? I've got a pic of my paint job at the mo if this helps anyone get what I'm on about.

Thanks
        Greg.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
        Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GJC91 View Post
          Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to do this post.

I just wanted to ask, if removing vinyls from fairings, what would you recommend for sticking them back on? Also, I'm currently in the process of repainting bike after minor drop and I'm using a clear lacquer (from the company that I bought the paints from) but it doesn't have that same sheen that the original OE paint job does. Is there any reason for this or do they use something different? I've got a pic of my paint job at the mo if this helps anyone get what I'm on about.

Thanks
          Greg.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
          Greg
          Did you wet sand and polish the clear? I saw a write-up (I think somewhere in this thread) about getting rid of "orange peel" and getting that glossy look.
          sigpic'98 600 Parting Out

Comment

Originally posted by car0linab0y View Post
            Did you wet sand and polish the clear? I saw a write-up (I think somewhere in this thread) about getting rid of "orange peel" and getting that glossy look.

Hi,

As of yet I haven't wet sanded the clear (and yea I found it on like page 4 or 5. By clear I'm assuming u mean the lacquer? You can tell I'm new at this ). I only put three coats on, would u recommend another one, so at least when I do wet sand it, it doesn't remove to much of the layering? Also Polish or Wax? I have both.

Thanks Again.

Comment

Hi,

As of yet I haven't wet sanded the clear (and yea I found it on like page 4 or 5. By clear I'm assuming u mean the lacquer? You can tell I'm new at this ). I only put three coats on, would u recommend another one, so at least when I do wet sand it, it doesn't remove to much of the layering? Also Polish or Wax? I have both.

Thanks Again.
              Polish... wax will add gloss, but on top of the haze. Polish gets the haze out. 3 coats should be enough if they're not too thin.

Comment

Thanks for the great breakdown, I am currently using it as a guide for some work on my kat at the mo. Easy to follow, thanks again.
                I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by car0linab0y View Post
                  Polish... wax will add gloss, but on top of the haze. Polish gets the haze out. 3 coats should be enough if they're not too thin.

Yea thanks for the advice. I tried it on a part of fairing where it wouldn't matter if it didn't work but it has. Wet sanded with 1200 lightly to get rid of main 'orange peel' the polished like mad and it's now coming up very nicely, still not like OE but better than the satin/ orange peel finish.

Thanks car0linab0y

Comment

Yea thanks for the advice. I tried it on a part of fairing where it wouldn't matter if it didn't work but it has. Wet sanded with 1200 lightly to get rid of main 'orange peel' the polished like mad and it's now coming up very nicely, still not like OE but better than the satin/ orange peel finish.

Thanks car0linab0y
                    Don't thank ME... just repeating what I saw in the write-up. Glad it worked for you though.

Comment

• so the process is... take off all decals, clean surface, sand everything, clean really good, spray primer once or twice?, spray paint however many times you want, spray clear however many you want, wet sand, buff, wax... My main question is do I sand then wet sand before any paint? Or do I just sand? Does everything else sound right in order?

Comment

• paint job

I had repainted my bike from the pic on my profile and sig. And stripping the tank sucks when the person before had no idea what they were doing. But I painted it with the rubber bed line for trucks a it has held up very well. And my thinking was if it gets scratched it would be easy to fix. So happy
                        sigpic
                        97 kat 600

O' yeah that's custom paint!

Comment

• Originally posted by car0linab0y View Post
                          Don't thank ME... just repeating what I saw in the write-up. Glad it worked for you though.
                          Yea but you took the time to reply so thanks Anyway hopefully if they've worked I've uploaded some pics of the job I did. I only resprayed, the main side panels (both blue and white(and the same on other side)) and entire tail unit pieces.

EDIT: pics are rubbish so here is a link to flickr where full res images are

Explore Gregory Clapham’s 3 photos on Flickr!

The album is open to anyone so should work.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by GJC91; 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• great post, very insightful and easy to understand thank you
                            HELLO AMERICA! NINJA HERE!

Comment

• i do bodywork for a living and i always wet sand and buff everything to get rid of orange peel dirt ect. and to get the best look ,never wax any fresh paint until 60 days later so all the solvents can evaporate

Comment

• can anyone post an updated link to the printable version of the original post? I can't seem to get the link on like page 4 or 5 to work. I would appreciate it!! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X