Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Help me pick decals for my '01 Kat please (big pics inside)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick decals for my '01 Kat please (big pics inside)

I've now owned my 2001 yellow Suzuki Katana for over a year, and over that time it's acquired a couple minor scratches.

Once, my friend knocked it over trying to get on (just to sit on it) and it fell on a pebbly driveway:

And once, while I was at work someone must've knocked into my bike that was parked on the street because I got these pretty scratches:

Also, on the back there's this mess-up of a paintjob fix... previous owner scratched it up and didn't paint over it very well at all:

All things considered, it runs great though, and came at a great price. It's got a tinted windshield, fishbulb turn signals, and a Yoshi exhaust pipe. Anyway, I was planning to paint the bike to get rid of the scratches and to add some custom feel to the bike, but then I realized what the bike lacks is decals, not a new color.

Sure, my bike already has some decals: One stripe on the right side (I forgot to get the one for the left side once I got enough money for it), a stripe on each side of the back of the bike, the word Suzuki on both sides of the gas tank, a yellow/black decal on the gas tank, and a half-peeled decal on the gas tank lid.

It sounds like it's got a lot, but you can probably see, judging by the pictures, that it's a fairly minimalistic effect that leaves my bike fairly plain looking. They're nothing like the kind of decals I saw in some of the threads on this forum.

The point is that I have no artistic talent, but I do have some criticizing talent. I can't draw anything because I don't have the creativity to come up with something and put it on paper, yet I love photography because it just involves me being a critic in life-- walk around looking at everything and pick what's especially pretty in the world to take photos of. That's a simplification, but it gets the point across.

So whichever of you folks here finds designing bikes to be fun, or is feeling in a particularly good mood, please help me pick out decals for my bike, so that I can just pick among a few really good looking ideas rather than just stare blankly at the hundreds of decals available as I'm currently doing.
    • Sorry I'm not posting any links to decal sites, it looks like there's a million sites that do bike decals and I don't know which are good and which aren't (one thread had TapeWorks decals).
    • I don't really have a price range, I'm willing to spend a decent amount on this but obviously making me broke isn't the goal, so don't just pick the most expensive decal
    • Also, if the decals cover up some of my scratches and stuff, that'd be good. If not, would you recommend I get the scratches fixed? (roughly $250 per side I believe), or just ignore them?
    • Lastly, would the decals I have presently be difficult to remove so I can add awesome new ones?
    Thank you very much to anyone willing to put the time into this, I really appreciate it and so does my bike
    -edit-
    A lot of the nice decals I'm finding on websites are on bikes that are uniformly one color, and I just realized my bottom fairing (is that what it's called?) is painted black. Do you think that would be expensive to paint yellow like the rest of the bike so I can get full-bike decals?
    Last edited by sgtbilldoor; 08-18-2008, 02:49 PM.

I'm not sure that that many decals would look good, to cover all those scratches. I would pick a decal with some black since that is your accent color but maybe also opt for touching up that paint a little. That's my advice!

Comment

Honestly it's best to just repaint. If you are short on funds just get out some rattle cans and go to work. It can look stellar if you take your time.

Comment

Originally posted by On1wheel01 View Post
        Honestly it's best to just repaint. If you are short on funds just get out some rattle cans and go to work. It can look stellar if you take your time.

About $200 in primer, paint and clear coating (cheaper if you just rattle can); with some patience - you can have a really nice looking bike again.
        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Working...
        X