Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the checkered theme. Very cool..

Comment

Originally posted by KansasKat View Post
      2 inch masking tape and LOTS and LOTS of prep work.
      What color was it before you went with the matte black?? What brought on the paint job? My bike is a pretty metallic blue but it has some scarring on the right side. I am really on the fence about keeping the factory color or painting it metallic orange with black wheels. Hmmmm.....maybe a flat orange. That would be COOL!!! lol
      'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
      ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
      ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

It was originally Metallic Dark Sea Blue with Silver lowers. I had an old man bump me on the highway last fall so my winter project was to repaint. After getting some ideas of how much it would cost to repaint in the original color I decided it was time to go stealth.
        It's a breeze to care for, is immune to gas and you just don't get any easier to touch up.
        I'm not sure how flat orange would look.
        IMO i'd stick with earth tones if i'm gonna go with flat paint.
        2005 Aprilia RST1000
        2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
        1998 Chevy Tahoe
        www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

omg, omg, omg... she's so purdy!
          the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
          # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
          [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Immune to gas? So it won't peal and bubble from little spills?

I am liking the sound of this so far. And I love the look of the stealth black. Coreys old ninja was done in stealth black, and looked freaking sweet.

How many coats did you lay down? And no type of overcoat or clear of anykind I take it.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

I've spilled gas on the tank a few times and as long as I clean it up when I get home, which could be hours later, i've not had a problem. No different than the paint that was on it from the factory.
              I originally went with a Dullcoat Laquer as a top coat last year when I started the job but it was so expensive and hard to find in the quantity that I needed that I just went with the straight paint. I'd painted a few jeeps, a ton of firearms and some hunting equipment with flat enamel before and had great results so I was pretty sure it would work out fine...and it has.
              2005 Aprilia RST1000
              2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
              1998 Chevy Tahoe
              www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Originally posted by KRAZYKAT View Post
                i like the flags , good move.

Comment

Originally posted by KansasKat View Post
                  I've spilled gas on the tank a few times and as long as I clean it up when I get home, which could be hours later, i've not had a problem. No different than the paint that was on it from the factory.
                  I originally went with a Dullcoat Laquer as a top coat last year when I started the job but it was so expensive and hard to find in the quantity that I needed that I just went with the straight paint. I'd painted a few jeeps, a ton of firearms and some hunting equipment with flat enamel before and had great results so I was pretty sure it would work out fine...and it has.

Sweet. How many layers did you lay down? I am thinking I may go this route next. I really wana put a busa subframe and plastics on my bike tho too, I think that with the flat black would look hella sweet. Also, did you use any sort of adhesian promotor?
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

I used 4 good coats of Flat Black and I think 2-3 coats of Gloss Black for the Checkers. I didn't use any adhesive promoter since the Plastikote paint is specifically designed for our type of plastic. I think my big Cherokee was the only thing I used promoter on and that was because I was using a sprayer and military paint.
                    2005 Aprilia RST1000
                    2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
                    1998 Chevy Tahoe
                    www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Nice, I didn't realize it was made for plastics. Guess the name kinda gives it away now that I think about it
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Very cool and original! I dig the lower cowl with the subtle checker effect!

Comment

Working...
                        X