X

Repair and Paint Folly ***Warning - Lots of Pictures***

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair and Paint Folly ***Warning - Lots of Pictures***

I tried, really I did, but I couldn't paint my bike.

My problems started when I decided that I had to ride a motorcycle. In March of 2006 I bought a beautiful used Katana 750 in Burgundy Red with about 4,500 miles on the odometer. Of course, I low sided her about two weeks after taking my MSF class. Not just any low side but a 30 mph slide down a concrete grooved-for-ice exit ramp (think cheese grater) that really put the thrill of motorcycling into perspective.

I was fine, thanks to my gear, but the bike needed a lot of TLC. Adrenaline pumping, I wheeled it to a friends house taking out the lower fairing along the way (pushed it over a curb, dumb ) The next day I took some pictures and added up the damage. Fortunately, I hadn't bent the frame or worse. But the big long slide had ground down some parts and the upper fairing panel was badly scored. It was going to take a healthy parts order to replace the broken parts and I was in no mood to buy body panels. (Somebody really should warn new riders that fully faired bikes are expensive to repair.)

Here's a couple pictures taken shortly after the accident.

The fall was actually helpful because it made me realize that a pretty bike wasn't necessarily the best choice for me while I was learning how to ride. So, I repaired all the mechanical bits and pieces. Ran three oil changes through the engine to remove any contaminants and sanded the rough spots down.

This is how the Katana looked for the next 2 years.

And in that time I put 17,000 miles on her and dropped her two or three more times.

Note the right fairing, tip over damage that went unrepaired.

Sometime last winter, I decided to fix the Kat and give it the respect it deserved. And so began the big tear down and repair. The plan was simple. Fill in the repairs, sand it back to shape and spray the repair areas with color matching paint. It'll be good as new...I can do this...

I cleared a corner in the basement for the work and did some research here and at an auto paint supply shop.

Plan A - Repair the damage and paint the damaged areas with color matching paint.

Step 1. Get the right products to fill the low spots on the fairings. I settled on a product called Fiber Tech. It's a two part epoxy filler that contains fiberglass fibers for bulk. Here's a picture of the tube they sold me. (I think I have enough left over to make an entire panel from scratch.)

And here's what I did with it...

Note the masking tape, that's to keep the work areas separate from the clear areas that wouldn't need repairing. (If you see where this is going, it's not a wonder the guys and the auto paint shop kept shaking their heads every time I showed up for more sand paper, sanding blocks, etc.)

I was actually very pleased with my repairs. And that only added to my confidence that I could "touch up the repair areas with a little good paint...

Step 2. Just paint the repaired areas in each panel This is what I bought to paint the panels.

I was so wrong. I could paint beautiful test panels but I had no patience for spraying these curvy parts. It dripped, it blistered, I over sprayed, I swore. Every time I went down to my "paint booth" I wrecked something.

I didn't take any pictures...and months passed, the project stalled.

Plan B - Rattle can paint all the panels.

I bought primer and paint at Home Depot then started to prep all the panels for new paint. Fortunately, I never got passed the prepping part. I went through the dreaded Home Depot returns line and dropped off the unused paint. A healthy dose of "you're not a painter" was setting in.

Plan C - Hire a professional.

What do you think? Did I get it right?

The happy ending...

My color inspiration...

Getting it back together and riding the Kat for the first time in over 8 months was the highlight of my summer. I felt like I had a brand new bike.

Wish me luck...I really going to try to keep in upright from now on.

Looks Great! I still have damage from a high side to repair (back in 06)..maybe I will get around to it soon.
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

You look a little small for the bike (pic # 3). Your feet don't even touch the ground!

J/K I like the yellow, but the maroon was sweet from the right angles too.

Comment

It looks as good as new. Well done dude. I think i'm just not going to drop my to start with . Touch wood. ( i sux at repairs)
        One day we all will meet our maker, and be judged.

Comment

Congrats!!!.....it looks really good!!!
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

funny story...I enjoyed reading it. The bike looks great!
            sigpic

Comment

looks great!!! try to keep the shiney up!!! looks better that way.

Comment

That looks awesome!! So what paint products did you finally use?
                2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                Black
                Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                Red
                Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

Electrical Tech,

The guys who did the yellow call themselves SIK Werks (Seattle Innovative Kustom...). They're a couple of auto painters that decided to get into motorcycle painting and repairs. I found them through the body shop that has done work on my car.

They assured me the paint was going to be "the same as what the cars get". I'm not certain what that means or the brand they used, one of the guys mentioned PPG paint. It's all urathane.

Comment

Well, you certainly picked the right colour .

Comment

Now that's downright purty! But now the header looks bad next to all that shiny. Next Project!
                      Don't kick yourself too hard about the self-help painting. Rattle cans tend to suck pretty bad. The only way to go is a professional paint gun unless you're really lucky. (Temperature just right, humidity just right, no dust at all, surface sanded just right and prepped with acetone, spray tip perfectly clean, and so on and so on...) The bike looks great now, though. Are those new fairing bolts? If so, where did you go for them?
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Wild-Bill,

The bolts are the originals with the exception of a couple that I made with Allen-head bolts, nylon sleeves and washers. They're on the lower fairing.

I rarely pass on an opportunity to buy professional equipment (justified by the "savings" of not buying professional service). But starting with the rattle cans taught me a few important lessons. 1) You need to take your time. 2) There's no substitute for practice and experience. 3) You need a proper work area.

I had the patience for the sanding and body repair. But when it comes to painting, I think you've either got the gift to know when to stop the spraying or you get it through practice. I ran out of patience with the learning curve.

Probably my biggest obstacle was work space. I don't have a garage and my basement space is too small to spray more than one piece at a time. I had plastic sheeting hanging to keep the overspray contained but then the lighting was terrible.

I did notice the headers looked really bad next to the fresh paint. The header removal doesn't look too bad. Do you have any experience with this? Mind a ton of questions? Can it be done on the center stand? What did you use to support the headers before you removed the center mounting bolt? Did you have any difficulty clearing the front fender when sliding the headers out? Any recommendations for improving the looks? How is header coating applied?

Seems like every project has a steep learning curve...

Comment

Originally posted by Cale_Kat View Post
                          Electrical Tech,

The guys who did the yellow call themselves SIK Werks (Seattle Innovative Kustom...). They're a couple of auto painters that decided to get into motorcycle painting and repairs. I found them through the body shop that has done work on my car.

They assured me the paint was going to be "the same as what the cars get". I'm not certain what that means or the brand they used, one of the guys mentioned PPG paint. It's all urathane.
                          I was confused it seems. I passed over the part in your OP where you said you went to plan "C" Hire a professional!! LOL regardless of that, it looks awesome!
                          2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                          Black
                          Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                          Red
                          Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

it's yellow Did you do that on purpose or was that an accident?

Comment

All that matters is that you are happy with how it turned out.

I've never had good luck with rattle can anything... but I have painted with a $50 gun I bought from lowes... and stuff turns out okay. Just saying.... it might not have directly been your fault.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X