Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Best product for stripping fairings and tank?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best product for stripping fairings and tank?

Currently, my bike has at least two older coats of paint on some of the fairings and is a hodgepodge of black, aqua, and purplish-blue, so I'd like to get started on repainting it during the colder months (heated, well ventilated garage if it is too cold).

Obviously, most strippers aren't safe for plastics, so they wouldn't work well for the fairings. Does anyone have any recommendations for products that they've used that work well in this situation?

I used a sander.

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.
    02' Katana 600
    D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

You can sandblast it if your careful. Mojoe has done it before.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Aircraft stripper for the tank!! That stuff works awesome! As far as the fairings---a really good sander and patience....Good luck. Don't worry I have the previous owners road rash on left side fairings to fix myself. Raed Sweet Lou's rattle can paint sticky to see how he got them cleaned up for painting. (Even if you don't consider using the rattle can method)

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys. I guess there's no magical solution to this other than sanding.

Comment

i have heard that easy-off oven cleaner works like a charm...ill b tryin that later in the day and let u know if it works

Comment

nitromorse automotive any good on plastics its brilliant on metals work in five miutes easy peasy

Comment

Originally posted by kweef View Post
                i have heard that easy-off oven cleaner works like a charm...ill b tryin that later in the day and let u know if it works
                I had no luck with that.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  I had no luck with that.
                  hmm well i found that it doesnt remove the clear coat but if u get below the clear coat it works very well...maybe it depends on the kind of paint you are tryin to remove because it bubbled the paint up for me

Comment

I had to strip the tank and fairing of an 88 Kat 1100. Here's some of what I learned"

Easy-Off does not work very well at all. It removed some of the paint (mostly the badly-applied, rattle-can prisimatic/chamelon paint that was the top layer) but was not worth the time or trouble;

So-called "aircraft stripper" and in fact almost any brand/type of paint stripper worked fine on the tank- but you would not expect to have any trouble there, the tank being metal;

DO NOT USE URETHANE BUMPER PAINT STRIPPER ON THE PLASTIC PARTS. It removes the paint, all right, but leaves the plastic parts pitted, which you must then fill with bondo and/or body putty before you paint. It is also expensive, does not go that far (took one and one-half big cans to do most of the plastic, and no, I didn't notice the pitting until after I used half the second can,) and you STILL need to do quite a bit of sanding.

I sanded most of the paint off the front fender (did not use Urethane bumper stripper on that part), starting with 80 grit disc on a DA sander. In retrospect, that is too agressive- got the paint off, but I had to go over the plastic with finer paper to get the resulting roughness smooth again. I started with 120 (very lightly) and then 240 on other pieces, which worked much better.

So: Use/try anything you want to on the tank, but sand the plastic with 120 or 240 and then finer, but nothing else.
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Steve, it should help when I do my plastics this winter.

Comment

There is no need to strip the old paint off.

New paint will adhear to the old paint better then it will to bare plastic.
                        Scuff up the old paint and sand it smooth with about a 400 grit. Add any fillers you need. I recommend permatex plastic weld.
                        Once everything is again sanded with a 400 grit spray it with an adhesion promoter then start with a fresh base of filler primer.
                        From there you want to make sure the primer surface is flawless. Any flaws in the primer will show up in the paint.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Brake fluid

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                            Brake fluid
                            You know, I tried that, too- had some old, used brake fluid, couldn't find a place to recycle it, so I figured, what the heck, and if it worked, I had free paint stripper!

Didn't work real well. Not worth the trouble.
                            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

It softens the paint more then removing it
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                              X