X

Painting the Bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting the Bike

Well, once I get her up and running, I will most likely begin the prep work for paint. I have access to a compressor so I am looking to use a paint gun to paint. That being said, I am looking for some recommendations on a brand/type of gun. I see there are siphon/gravity feed and several different brands out there. Keep in mind I am shooting for a budget minded paint job. If someone has bought these things before and can point me toward where they got them that would be greatly appreciated! Also, what brand paints are you using?

Thanks!
    1997 Kat 750. Work in progress. Keep you up to date!

Since there have been no additions to my message, I figured I would send a photoshop image of what I am looking to try and paint! This is what I would like my bike to look like.

Besides, everyone likes pictures!

Seat re-covering would most likely be myself getting the material from www.yourautotrim.com

Let me know what you all think!

Comment

Sharp design!!!
      White powder coated rims would add a great touch

Comment

Costco

CHECK COSTCO if yoou guys have them in your area

they had a nice one for under 200 dollars but not sure how good it was

check costco.com maybe they sell it online

ill get more info for you this weekend

Comment

I love the white! Let us know when it's done
          Godspeed
          CSBA #1167
          Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

I bought a 3 piece set, one for primer, one for paint and a touch up for under 100$. It worked as good as the painter could paint (myself). I really thought it was good. Parts plus was where i got them.
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

yeah that prolly wouldn't look bad... i dont really like all the stickers/splatter.... but white looks sweet esp wit some white wheels.....

i got my paint gun from harbor freight for like stuped cheap.... its just a small touche up gun but works just fine for me....
              THE EMAIL BANDIT
              F4 I stunted out
              Cbr900 (low and stretched)
              MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

It would look good but I like mine lowered.
                Attached Files
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=006

Comment

Ebay for the paint guns I would go gravity fed (unless one our pros says otherwise. as for paint you could always go to your local automotive store NAPA or whatever is in your area but they are not usually the cheapest. Try to find a autobody supply store that is what I did.
                  02' Katana 600
                  D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

thats a nice color good luck on the piant job looking forward to the pics when you are finsh

Originally posted by WendyKat View Post
                    It would look good but I like mine lowered.
                    you did not sell your bike????????????
                    Last edited by JBLUE; 08-07-2008, 07:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

ok, I think harbor freight will be my friend when it comes time to paint. That being said, I think I may pick up an airbrush as well. Anyone know if I can run both of these off the same compressor?
                      Also, I noticed a lot of paint guns list the cfm's they require. Is this only if you have a compressor with no tank? Cause it seems most compressors don't fill anywhere near these numbers unless you get an expensive 2 stage.
                      Thanks again for the help

Comment

I am no expert by any stretch, but I have used both gravity feed and siphon feed.

The Gravity feed gun I have is a Sata (top of the line) and worth a pretty good chunk of change. The siphon feed gun campbell hausfield and I think it was about 50.00 or something like that. Because of the vastly different levels of quality it would be unfair to draw a comparison between gravity vs siphon based on my experience. I will say that with a gravity feed gun you need to be aware of the level of paint in your cup. If you are painting with the cup at an angle when it is too full you could spill paint out of the top of the cup. if you are hold the cup at an angle when it is close to empty, you run the risk of having all of the paint out of the "pick up" zone and you could and up with blotchy spray. I think the siphon feed is more forgiving.

As for the CFM's that are required, If I am recalling correctly I believe the cfms required for most guns is between 8 and 16. at around 30 psi. I use a 5 hp compressor with a 20 gallon tank. This compressor works, but really is too small for sustained paint/body work and is pretty much running all of the time when doing paintwork.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

That white paint scheme looks fantastic. I've always liked pearly white & gray bike designs...can't wait to see it when you're done. Lots of pics, please! :mrgreen:

Comment

I like the design. I always like white on a bike.
                            sigpic

Twist your Wrist

Comment

Working...
                            X