X

great plastic fix

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great plastic fix

My father and I needed to fix some rash on the tail of my bike. Regular body plastic would have worked but may not have stayed on for the life of the bike. We got ahold of this stuff made by LORD Industries. They are the manufacturers of the Fuzor line of bonding products. They make the junk that bonds the ceramic plates to the space shuttles. The product itself is called Fuzor 143 (could be wong, used it all up already) It dries really quick, and hardens to a ABS plastic consistency. It is also sandable, and it works great for bonding parts together. 3M also makes this automix stuff, sandable and workable, but more flexible (used for urethane bumper repair) but it bonds to the plastic body parts permanently and is easier to sand. This stuff is excellent for rash and scratch repair. Figured I'd let you guys in on it, it worked great for me.
    Dude, if I could swim, I'd be a Pirate.

Fusor works great in cracks, but I've heard of people having problems with using as a filler agent. A lot of brand-name auto body shops use Fusor (Saturn dealers for example).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Where can I get ahold of some of this stuff, at one of the auto parts store?

Comment

try www.lordcorp.com
        and
        www.eastwoodco.com

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

For filling I'd use the 3M Automix, but the Fusor stuff worked awesome too. In the case of the Fusor, if you sand the fairing down to the plastic, it will adhere no problem (we tested with a hammer on a scrap piece). In both cases you will definitely need to use an adhesion promoter or flexible plastic primer, as your basic paints will not adhere to them. We acutally used the Fusor to make a couple of tabs for the fairing halves I made for my streetfighter. The stuff sets up quick tho. We have used the Fusor made for metal to bond door panels, and once for the entire side of a Caravan that we clipped. It's stronger than a weld if applied appropriately. And it's also a rust inhibitor. Keystone Auto also carries the parts (not the parts supplier Keystone, but the one in Newburgh, NY)
          Dude, if I could swim, I'd be a Pirate.

Comment

Working...
          X