X

Lowering Kit...worth it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luvmykatana View Post
    It didn't cost me anything because i had a friend that worked at a welding shop do it for me
    I had about 3/4" cut out of my kickstand, didn't cost me a whole lot either. I have a friend that works at a shop also.
    myspace
    2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by giftedwon View Post
      i feel that it handles much better since i lowered it
      well, you feel wrong

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        well, you feel wrong
        not necessarily true. If the front was lowered a bit more than the rear, it will dive into corners quicker.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          well, you feel wrong
          Originally posted by chinto View Post
          not necessarily true. If the front was lowered a bit more than the rear, it will dive into corners quicker.

uh oh some one disputed arsenic....lets see how this goes

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post

uh oh some one disputed arsenic....lets see how this goes
            whiteclover, I am going to watch this to but agree with chinto on this one. Lowering the front will change the giometry and make the bike steer quicker. So if the front is a tad lower than the back it will handle better.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
              whiteclover, I am going to watch this to but agree with chinto on this one. Lowering the front will change the giometry and make the bike steer quicker. So if the front is a tad lower than the back it will handle better.
              It all depends on your definition of better, I think.

Lower the front more than the rear, and your handling will quicken, but lowering the bike as a whole would reduce your clearance, and make your at-limit handling worse (and your limit, lower). That sharpened turn in will reduce your straight line high speed stability, also...... though the kat has plenty of straight line stability to spare!
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

lets start with rake:

If you look at the contour of a Pre98 Katana clearance isn't a issue. There is room to lower the front to lesson the rake for better steering. If you lower the front 2", lower the back 1 1/2".
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

were talking about a slight change in handling for better or worse. like I said before, you hardly notice the difference under normal riding.

take it to the track, ride 50 miles then come into the pits. lower the bike then go back out for another 50 laps. then you might feel a slight difference or your times might get slightly better or worse.

otherwise, your doing it for appearance only
                  myspace
                  2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
                    he's 100% correct, I'm not gonna argue with the truth, haven't you guys realized, I don't do that

Comment

lets start with rake:
                      If you look at the contour of a Pre98 Katana clearance isn't a issue. There is room to lower the front to lesson the rake for better steering. If you lower the front 2", lower the back 1 1/2".
                      Clearance is always an issue. There are plenty here who scrape the pegs on pre's at stock height. If you lower it, they will scrape earlier. I would be quicker to recommend raising the rear (upgrading the shock, 2 birds with one stone sort of thing) to accomplish the same thing, rather than lowering the front. Or you could do both in combination if you wanted to really take it to the extreme.

Agreed, that if you lower the front by 2", and the rear by 1 1/2", the turn in will feel quicker, which would be great for normal street riding/dicing through traffic. But lowering the bike as a whole WILL limit how far the bike can lean without scraping the hard bits.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

my bike personally is about stock in rear and is 2" lower in the front but with the Busa rear shock it put the bike up 2" til I lowered it.
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        Who knows what is next?

Comment

my bike personally is about stock in rear and is 2" lower in the front but with the Busa rear shock it put the bike up 2" til I lowered it.
                          In truth, my bike is sitting lower in the front, and stock in the rear, too. Not because I think it's ideal, but because I tower above the ground at a whole 5' 8", and if I raise the back a bunch, I'll be on my toes. That's just a problem I'll have to contend with when/if this thing ever gets back on the road!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

i did not even lower the front. just the back. its fine for me.

Comment

I just lowered mine yesterday. I am brand new to the Kat world, and found it painless, other than having to purhase an impact wrench to loosen one of the dogbone links.

I lowered the front about 1 3/8th inch. I did notice that it feels alot better riding, but I do feel some slight vibrations now when riding, which I never felt before. It feels like it is vibrating my hands.

Is this normal?
                                GSXF 750 Wish List
                                • New windScreen
                                • Carbon Fiber Fairings
                                • Carbon Fiber Bar ends
                                • Silver pieces chromed
                                • Mesh Mod
                                • Fender Eliminator
                                • Combined LED rear light
                                • New Paint Job
                                • LED's placed on bike
                                • Carbon Fiber Muffler