X

Clutch plates - how to change information needed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch plates - how to change information needed

due to some silly riding and rear tire burn outs i have prematurely expired my clutch disc and plates (assuming at least)

i was hoping for 2 things"

1) do i stick with stock OEM replacement parts or do i go aftermarket for some sort of heavy duty upgrade

and

2) where can i can detailed information on how to do this myself, as i really dont have to bring it to the dealer unless absolutely neccesary...

thanks! PS - dont mind the spelling.....
    Hicks: "Hey maybe I haven't been keepin' up on current events but we just got our asses kicked pal."

OEM is good if you are planning on keeping it easy-cruise and want long life. Aftermarkets generally grab better. EBC has good clutch friction materials fairly cheap ($60 I think); Barrett's kit is the way to go if you plan on being a wild-ass some more (includes everything from stronger springs to the plates and the friction materials; $180 - $220 if I recall correctly).

Process is simple -- just follow any of the service manuals. If you presoak the new friction materials in oil overnight, it's a 1 to 1.5 hour job for a reasonable home-mechanic, about 45 minutes for a pro.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Clutch plates - how to change information needed

Originally posted by phatkawk
      due to some silly riding and rear tire burn outs i have prematurely expired my clutch disc and plates
      Silly? Do you mean squidly?

Comment

Re: Clutch plates - how to change information needed

Originally posted by phatkawk
        rear tire burn outs
        can you do a front tire burn out????

Comment

I ordered my clutches & springs this past week and did the job today. I went with the EBC's. The job is simple. I think some people would have more trouble with the fairings than the clutches. The results were great! It's nice to hit it and no more slippage! I'll just have to wait and see how young son does with it now. He's tough on the equipment!

BTW, Don't forget and get a clutch cover gasket too!
          02 TL1000R, 05 Hayabusa, 02 Katana 600.....Sold

Comment

My clutch is very loose and it gets annoying using it because I let go a little and it bogs or I press a little and it revs up like crazy. Does anyone every replace the clutch springs only or do you go with the discs too? I never do burn outs or any racing. I was going to replace the discs but if I shouldn't have to then I wont. How long do the clutch discs last?
            1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by 89katana750
              My clutch is very loose and it gets annoying using it because I let go a little and it bogs or I press a little and it revs up like crazy. Does anyone every replace the clutch springs only or do you go with the discs too? I never do burn outs or any racing. I was going to replace the discs but if I shouldn't have to then I wont. How long do the clutch discs last?
              What kind of Oil are you using, and have you checked your clutch cable lately?
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Im using Motul 10 40 half mineral half synthetic. I think my cable is too loose also. For the adjustment at the lever it is like a cm out and at the bottom it is a cm out.
                1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by 89katana750
                  How long do the clutch discs last?
                  For a typical city rider, about 20k miles. Other than that, it's totally up in the air -- could be over 100,000 miles if it's all highway miles (little clutch use) or as short as 5 miles (all drag-strip running, glazing the clutches).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X